Recording to TVR from old Panasonic

statto

Standard Member
Hi
I've got an old(ish) Panasonic camcorder [VHS-C] that has yellow and white AV out sockets on it.

I also have a shiny new Sony TVR19, and wondered how/if I can get my old VHS-C footage straight into the Sony. I imagine it might be via the S-Video socket on the Sony, but I can't find a cable that has yellow/white out jacks and an S-Video on the other end - or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

Cheers

Stats

B

Brian110507

Yes - you won't get a cable with s-video connector on one end and composite on the other. You have two choices :-
1) connect the yellow and white leads from your Panasonic to the yellow and white connectors on your Sony
2) buy a composite to s-video adapter and connect that in the yellow lead - you'll still have to connect the white lead though and your picture won't be any better.

statto

Standard Member
Thanks BeeJayCee

It'll have to be an S-Video to Composite, as the Sony doesn't have white/yellow inputs, only a single yellow one marked "audio/video out"

Any idea where I can get hold of an s-vid/composite cable - I've had a search around on the 'net and can't find one.

Thanks
Stats

B

Brian110507

You surprise me did you not have a lead supplies with your Sony with a single multipole pin connector on one end and the standard Yellow , Red and White connectors on the other ?

If you go to www.maplin.co.uk and search for product code WN78K you will see what I mean - did you not get one of those ?

As I said before your not going to find a lead s-video to composite you need a converter - you can find one here :-

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/codesearch.pl?STOC

Don't forget that this will not transfer sound only video you still need to find a way to connect the white lead from the Panasonic to the audio in of the Sony.

statto

Standard Member
Sorry - numbskull mode - yes I did, but I've tried that following the instructions in the Sony manual, but unless I'm doing something wrong, it doesn't work.

Thanks for the info - I'll keep at it.

Cheers

Stats

MarkE19

Are you putting the TRV19 into VCR mode when you try to record from the old cam?

Mark.

B

Brian110507

so - you have the yellow out from the Panasonic connected to the yellow of the Sony - and the white from the Panasonic connected to the red and white of the Sony. - - yes ???

when you play the video on the Panasonic connected to the Sony - with the Sony in VCR mode do you see your video on the Sony camcorder LCD screen ??

statto

Standard Member
No.
The Panasonic has yellow and white outs - the Sony has a yellow socket marked "audio/video out" (not in).

It also has an S-Video socket.

I have a lead (supplied with the Sony) with 3 way jack connectors on one end (yellow, white red) and a single black jack (with yellow concentric circles on it - if that' means anything) on the other end.

The Sony manual shows the A/V connecting cable for recirding video or TV (but I think that's only for the higher spec models that must have an audio/video in).

I's got firewire (obviously) but my VCR doesn't.

I'm beginning to think I'm scuppered, but I'd have thought there must be a way to get my analogue footage in.

I'll keep on trying nd looking

Thanks for your continued help/suggestions

Statto

B

Brian110507

statto

Standard Member
Thanks
I thought as much - should have read the manual more thoroughly - not having a good understanding of AV ins and outs and S-Video & the like..........

Thanks fr the link - will follow up - and thanks for your patience with a newbie/idiot!

Statto

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom