1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording to TVR from old Panasonic

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by statto, Apr 3, 2004.

1. statto

statto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I've got an old(ish) Panasonic camcorder [VHS-C] that has yellow and white AV out sockets on it.

I also have a shiny new Sony TVR19, and wondered how/if I can get my old VHS-C footage straight into the Sony. I imagine it might be via the S-Video socket on the Sony, but I can't find a cable that has yellow/white out jacks and an S-Video on the other end - or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

Cheers

Stats

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - you won't get a cable with s-video connector on one end and composite on the other. You have two choices :-
    1) connect the yellow and white leads from your Panasonic to the yellow and white connectors on your Sony
    2) buy a composite to s-video adapter and connect that in the yellow lead - you'll still have to connect the white lead though and your picture won't be any better.

3. statto

statto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks BeeJayCee

It'll have to be an S-Video to Composite, as the Sony doesn't have white/yellow inputs, only a single yellow one marked "audio/video out"

Any idea where I can get hold of an s-vid/composite cable - I've had a search around on the 'net and can't find one.

Thanks
    Stats

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You surprise me did you not have a lead supplies with your Sony with a single multipole pin connector on one end and the standard Yellow , Red and White connectors on the other ?

If you go to www.maplin.co.uk and search for product code WN78K you will see what I mean - did you not get one of those ?

As I said before your not going to find a lead s-video to composite you need a converter - you can find one here :-

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/codesearch.pl?STOC

Don't forget that this will not transfer sound only video you still need to find a way to connect the white lead from the Panasonic to the audio in of the Sony.

5. statto

statto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - numbskull mode - yes I did, but I've tried that following the instructions in the Sony manual, but unless I'm doing something wrong, it doesn't work.

Thanks for the info - I'll keep at it.

Cheers

Stats

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,404
    Are you putting the TRV19 into VCR mode when you try to record from the old cam?

Mark.

7. statto

statto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - that's what the manual says..............Stats

8. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so - you have the yellow out from the Panasonic connected to the yellow of the Sony - and the white from the Panasonic connected to the red and white of the Sony. - - yes ???

when you play the video on the Panasonic connected to the Sony - with the Sony in VCR mode do you see your video on the Sony camcorder LCD screen ??

9. statto

statto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No.
    The Panasonic has yellow and white outs - the Sony has a yellow socket marked "audio/video out" (not in).

It also has an S-Video socket.

I have a lead (supplied with the Sony) with 3 way jack connectors on one end (yellow, white red) and a single black jack (with yellow concentric circles on it - if that' means anything) on the other end.

The Sony manual shows the A/V connecting cable for recirding video or TV (but I think that's only for the higher spec models that must have an audio/video in).

I's got firewire (obviously) but my VCR doesn't.

I'm beginning to think I'm scuppered, but I'd have thought there must be a way to get my analogue footage in.

I'll keep on trying nd looking

Thanks for your continued help/suggestions

Statto

10. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. statto

statto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks
    I thought as much - should have read the manual more thoroughly - not having a good understanding of AV ins and outs and S-Video & the like..........

Thanks fr the link - will follow up - and thanks for your patience with a newbie/idiot!

Statto