1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording to tape problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Leeno, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Leeno

Leeno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Technics seperate tape to tape deck as part of my stereo seperates.

It has been fine for a year but has for some reason stopped recording anything.

The sound is still coming through on the levels but nothing on playback.

I've tried changing the audio cable that goes to record but still the same?

I payed 200 quid for it just over a year ago!

Any idea's of what the problem might be? or is it knackered ?

2. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can you play tapes that you have recorded previously?

Do you hear nothing at all or is there any low level sound on your recordings?

If the meters are indicating a signal then it won't be the record cable, although it could be the replay one!

There are a number of possibilities, however if it is the machine and it is only just over a year old it will still be covered by the sale of goods act if you are in the UK, so I'd take it back to the retailer.

Bill

3. Leeno

Leeno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate,

yeah I can play tapes I have recorded previously. Now when I record I get nothing but the hissing noise!

Yeah I'm in the UK so i'll have to take it into the retailer and see what they say about the sale of goods act! I just hope its not me being stupid and have changed something !

Thanks again.

4. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You say that it is a tape to tape deck. Presumably that means that it has 2 decks and you can replay from either deck but only record on one If that is so there are a few more things that you can do to check the machine.

Check if you can play from either deck.
    Check if you can record from one deck to the other.
    If your amp has tape monitoring facilities try making starting a recording and checking that you can hear an output from the machine whilst recording, if the deck has a headphone socket you could use that instead.

THe most common problem with tape decks that is not a fault is a build up of dirt on the heads, but that would generally give a very muffled low level sound, rather than no sound at all.

If you establish that it really is a fault and you take it back the retailer may try to tell you that it is out of warranty. The sale of goods act says that goods must be fit for their purpose and does not have a time limit, a recorder that has failed after a year is not fit for its purpose, so you should be able to persuade them to repair it without charge.

Bill

5. Leeno

Leeno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check if you can play from either deck. - Yeah can play alright
    Check if you can record from one deck to the other. - Nope wont do this
    If your amp has tape monitoring facilities try making starting a recording and checking that you can hear an output from the machine whilst recording, if the deck has a headphone socket you could use that instead.
    - yep can hear whats recording.

I'll try getting a tape cleaning kit but I don't think this is the problem like as u said, its usually muffled at first.

Think it will be going back.

THanks mate