recording to hdd and playback dvd query...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BigMacUK, Mar 17, 2006.

1. BigMacUK

BigMacUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

The recorder in question is the phillips dvdr3300h, that's connected to the rgb scart on the tv ( 1x rgb & 2x regular ). I've got some tv programs recorded to sky+ and have them playing out through the scarts. One to the TV the other to the recorder.

I've no problems recording and been happy with the result. But tonight I decided, I wanted to watch a dvd and figured an experiment was in order.

With 3 hours of sky+ set to playback, the recorder actively recording, i pressed the dvd button on remote and the front panel changed to a program counter, showing the movie from where i'd last been watching it. However, all i saw was sky + regardless of the av channels selected. Pressed the setup button, the display changed to read 'menu' but still no change to the tv. All this time, red circle on the recorder is giving me the warm feeling its doing things.

So, here's the thing. It feels like i am doing something fundamentally wrong? The signs are there that it will happily record from scart input and will allow discs to playback concurrently, all bar actually letting me see it!

Your advice and suggestions in this matter would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Bal2005

Bal2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Trying to understand what your saying but failing?

Are you saying that you are wishing to view a DVD on TV and I presume you have got the right AV selected on the TV to view it?

If you are trying to watch something on the same scartloop then sometimes the TV is taken over by what is controlling Ext1 or AV1 and I think it is the scart control pin which does it. Can't remember if it is Pin 8?
    Worth checking scart pin out guides as I think Pin 16 is used on RGB scarts.

It's worth seeing if you have a non fully wired scart e.g just Video in out and audio in out to test it.

Thanks

3. BigMacUK

BigMacUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey, thanks for writing.

Yeah - you have understood right. I was trying to watch a dvd on the tv while concurrently recording from the sky+ box onto the phillips hdd.

• TV: Ext 1 Sky+ and Ext 2 Philips.
    • Philips has Ext 1 going to TV, and Ext 2 coming from Sky+.

Last night, I was using the "copy" functions from sky+. To select a few programs I'd been keeping for some time and have it play them sequentially, allowing me to backup sky+ to phillips. No matter what i did, Ext 1 and Ext 2 showed the programs being copied. Despite the philips telling me it was showing film menu or timer running for the film playing, it wasn't on the tv. :(

So, I've just tried another test this morning. Sky box is on, just showing some stuff from ITV. Set the phillips off recording a moment, then pressed it's dvd button and up came the film menu. :)

Repeated the same test, but this time, Sky in timeslip and again, the films menu is shown. :)

Now playing a single program back from the planner, hit DVD and up came the film menu. :)

So far so good - but i'm real confused. I've changed nothing and it seems to be working in these various scenarios but for recording from the sky+ when it's "copy" function being used. :confused:

I'll give it another go once the current program finishes. Maybe I did something wrong last night? Maybe there is a technical feature, some signal sent on scart from sky+ as you suggest during "copy" that isn't under other viewing / playback conditions.

4. BigMacUK

BigMacUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried again with the "copy" option - and it didn't work. I really wanted to be able to queue playing of several program to transfer 2-3 hours worth over whilst watching dvd's.

Instead it looks like will have to do it one program at a time. :(

Flip side though, it will record in bulk, so could do that overnight while sleeping.

To summarise it so far. I can record from sky, normal feed.. timeslip or from planner and whilst doing so, play dvd's or hdd programs. But when sky is in "copy" mode it wont let the philips units playback come to tv.