Recording to external hdd

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by GBUK, Jul 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GBUK

GBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I hope this doesn't sound daft but does anyone know if you can record direct from tv to hdd for both Satellite and Freeview from the tv on board tuners?
    I am looking at either a Panasonic 40 cx802b or Sony kd43 x8305, both these sets have twin tuners for freesat / Freeview . So lets say i wanted to record from Freeview 8pm till 9pm itv then something on Freesat 9pm till 10pm would this work? or would i need two external hdd devices one for Freeview, and one for freesat ?
    As both these tv have twin tuners it would be great if i could ditch my Youview box and Humax freesat box and just have one device on [the tv] and one remote for everything.
    Thanks

2. silversurfer24v

silversurfer24v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    i am using a buffalo drive station 1tb on my cx 802 , and have just been recording freesat and BBC1 at the same time , i have not tried the timers yet just instant record,
    the 802b will take up to a 3tb hard drive but it must be mains powered

in theory you should be able to record 2 freesat and to digital channels at the same time, will try that in a while

3. GBUK

GBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That's great news i assume you connect via usb on the tv? can you also pause live tv? or only on a recorded programme ?

4. silversurfer24v

silversurfer24v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    The hard drive has to be connected to USB 3 on the TV and formated by the TV , have not found out how to pause tv yet ,hope they implement this in a firmware update.

I tried to record 2 channels on freest and free view and it will only record 1 channel on each tuner or 2 channels on the same tuner but you are not able to watch a 3rd channel while recording

5. GBUK

GBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK Thanks I don't think you will be able to pause live tv , handy to know that you can record from each source though. Thanks again for the info.

6. cuke2u

cuke2u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    You can pause live tv on my TV, but only from the internal tuners, that's why there is a pause button on the remote, and with my tv I just pugged a drive in, didn't need formatting only speed checked. Don't know about the TV's you've chosen though...

7. silversurfer24v

silversurfer24v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I still can not find how to pause live TV and there is no series link recording , I have sent panasonic support an email asking about these things and if there is likely to be a firmware update for them

8. GBUK

GBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That sounds just what i want, trying to get rid of as many boxes under tv as possible. What tv do you have?