1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording to DVD-R from Panasonic E100

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Timk, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Timk

Timk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am new to this list and I have a fairly urgent problem. I've checked the forum for previous discussions on this matter, but haven't fully understood them, so I'm asking for clarification.

I have a new E100 and haven't had a chance ot set it up yet. I will have to return it to the store next week if I don't wnat to keep it, and am alarmed that the manual states that recordings to DVD-R are in 4:3 aspect ratio. I took this to mean that if I record a widescreen film onto the hard drive and then copy it ot DVD it will play in a 4:3 ratio on my widescreen TV (i.e with borders on the sides). The discussions suggest that this is not what it means; that it WILL play in widescreen on my TV, but that it will somehow be distorted if someone wants to watch the DVD on an ordinary 4:3 TV. Is this right?

I understand that for some reason the DVD-R doesn't pick up the widescreen 'flag', but since I don't know what that is this knowledge doesn't help me much. :rolleyes: If someone can explain it or point me to where I can find out, I'd appreciate it. But basically I just want to know if I will be able to watch widescreen films in widescreen from DVD-R recordings made from this unit.

Thanks in advance for your help

Tim

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    The answer to this is yes.
    If you provide the recorder with widescreen pictures, eg from Sky or Freeview, this is what you will get on playback.
    One problem, as I understand it, is that the DVD-R information files will not carry the widescreen flag and you may then have to manually switch your widescreen TV to WIDE.

If the DVD-R is played back in a player set up for a 4:3 TV the pictures will display anamorphically squashed rather than letterboxed.

3. Timk

Timk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much. That eases my mind considerably. :thumbsup:

One point of clarification: does anything depend upon the TV which is displaying the picture from the DVD-R? That is, if the dvd player itself is set to display widescreen will the content be watchable on any standard 4:3 TV screen or only on a widescreen TV? (I have a widescreen TV, btw, I'm just wondering if my friend will be able to view my recordings on her 4:3 TV)

Thanks again

Tim

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Have a look at the topic '16:9 Simple Question' on this very forum....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155368

You have to realise that a 16:9 programme is merely a 'squashed 4:3' programme. It contains no extra resolution or pixels. They are pretty much the same bar teh fact a 16:9 programme carries a 'ws flag' to tell the TV to auto switch to 16:9 mode, providing the source (i.e. stb, DVD player) is set to 'wide mode'.

Now I have a Pan E100 and I can tell you that it does not record the ws flag so although it will play correctly on a ws tv (you have to manually switch), it will NOT play correctly on a 4:3 TV. It will look vertically squashed, unless the 4:3 TV has an 'anamorphic mode'.

To get round this I do all my DVD-R authoring on my PC where I use some software called IFOEDIT to add in the ws flag where it will then play correctly on either type of TV.

See my posts in the baove link.

5. Timk

Timk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply. I didn't reply earlier because I was hoping to get time to read the thread you mention properly, but events have rather taken over and I haven't got round to it. However I am pleased that the advice I've received here has made me confident in keeping the recorder, and I hope I'll be able to ask for more as I come to grips with this - surprisingly complex, I find - machine.

Thanks again for all your help. :)
    Tim