Recording to DL DVD-R on a Pioneer DVR 630

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Subwoofer70, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Subwoofer70

Subwoofer70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.
    Need a bit of help here,I recorded the Ireland V England rugby match the weekend to the hard drive of my DVR-630. I decided that I would copy it to a dual layer DVD-R. I edited out all the adverts and anything else I did not want. The copy list came to 2h 58mins in 6 seperate parts. I set up the machine in video mode(MN28 comression) and got it to finalize the disk when it was finished. When I went to watch the DVD the contents were now broken into 7 parts with parts 4 and 5 becoming unplayable. I was using Verbatim DL DVD-R. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is there a way to remedy it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete.

2. Subwoofer70

Subwoofer70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any help guys and gals.....please...

3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

I think this normal, where the program goes from layer 1 to layer 2 it will break into a new title.

You should of course be able to play it back. It may help to update your firmware as several improvements have been made to the writing quality on dual-layer discs and you could have an early firmware version. I had similar issues until I updated the firmware.

How to get an update of the firmware:

1) You can contact Pioneer telling them about this problem and asking for a firmware update, they will likely get you to call their service centre to arrange for it to be updated, this will involve them picking it up and can take 14 days!!!

2) Have a look at this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287176&page=2 (scroll to the bottom) to find out how to check the version of your firmware, on page 3 are posts detailing the latest version numbers. You can then try private messaging Hkan (they have posted in that thread) and ask for a firmware update, as a thank you they would expect a donation to the running of their website of around €6.00 (£4.50).

It's worth noting that while Pioneer service centre will collect and return the unit at their cost, by the time you got through to Pioneer's outsourced support company on a 0870 number, the phone call could easily be more than £4.50! The upgrade from Hkan is downloadable and needs to be burnt to a CD-R (or CD-RW) using Nero and is simplicity itself to upgrade in the comfort of your own home, I have done it and can vouch for its authenticity. Note the latest firmware is not region free, so if your unit is region free now, it will not be after being upgraded, I suspect the same applies to the Pioneer doing the update as well.

If you are not comfortable with the DIY approach raise a support message on Pioneer’s website to get the ball rolling http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/content/support/support/faq.html

Regards

Phil

4. Subwoofer70

Subwoofer70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Phil.
    Thanks for the information..Pioneer Ireland are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Their idea of help is to send PDF's of the intruction manual to me. Thanks again.

Pete.

5. igk101

igk101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have the multi-region firmware, version 3.34 on my 530. Does anyone know if this version works well with dual-layer discs? I'd like to be able to use DL discs, but I'm wondering whether having multi-region capability is a trade-off with newer firmware... I have to say that while I mostly have to have the latest updates for everything, version 3.34 seems to work fine, but I havent tried DL discs yet.

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

It is really a case of trying with your current version. The Pioneer 530/630 models contain a standard Pioneer A09 PC Writer, your software version means your writer has firmware 1.52, the very latest is 1.59. If you have a look at Pioneers firmware page for the A09 you can see the firmware version released for the PC writer and can see there have been improvements made to writing to dual-layer.

http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00002r_e.html#f_109

It seems Pioneer has never made a newer version of the region free firmware available since the original, hence you can't get region free in the latest version.

Regards

Phil

7. Subwoofer70

Subwoofer70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PhilipL
    I have downloaded the firmware upgrade from Hkan (thank you) and will install it over the weekend. Did it have any beneficial effects on your machine Philip?

Pete.

8. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

It fixed dual-layer recording glitches I had.

Noticed no other difference to the operation, but then wasn't really having any particular problems.

Also get a warm feeling for having the newer software :)

Regards

Phil

9. GARYFORUMS

GARYFORUMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    philipl

i thought the 530 had an old A08 in them ?

mind u it might change over time

10. Subwoofer70

Subwoofer70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey PhilipL....when you say recording glitches what kind of things were happening before you updated the firmware?

Thanks
    Pete.