Recording to a USB stick on a 6754

YYDeckard

Established Member
Reaction score
Mate just bought a new Philips TV last week and it has two usb inputs - it’s fine playing mkv etc off one of my memory sticks but when I tried to use my other memory stIck in the other port so the tv would record to it it failed with “Formatting failed. this type of USB device cannot be used. Use another type of usb device”. I tried 4gb to 128 ones as in the manual it says it needs 4gb to pause live tv Which seems to indicate a memory stick would be fine as who has 4gb hard drives ?

heading for their help site it says ”

The USB Hard Drive needs to match the following specifications:
  • A minimum storage capacity of 250GB
  • A minimum writing speed of 30MB/s
  • A standard USB 2.0 or a USB 3.0 connection
  • The hard drive preferably has its own power supply”

which I find incredible as basically on a brand new tv they want you to have some hard drive whirring away rather than a simple memory stick. Is this correct ? i have also mailed Philips direct to confirm.

i also rang Philips but my god their help line was terrible. Gave up after 15.

Last edited:
Hi,

remove the "MKV stick", insert the "recording stick", switch to TV and press Pause... now the formatting dialog should appear... It should be successful... If yes, reconnect your "MKV stick"...

Toengel@Alex

Mate just bought a new Philips TV last week and it has two usb inputs - it’s fine playing mkv etc off one of my memory sticks but when I tried to use my other memory stIck in the other port so the tv would record to it it failed with “Formatting failed. this type of USB device cannot be used. Use another type of usb device”. I tried 4gb to 128 ones as in the manual it says it needs 4gb to pause live tv Which seems to indicate a memory stick would be fine as who has 4gb hard drives ?

heading for their help site it says ”

The USB Hard Drive needs to match the following specifications:
  • A minimum storage capacity of 250GB
  • A minimum writing speed of 30MB/s
  • A standard USB 2.0 or a USB 3.0 connection
  • The hard drive preferably has its own power supply”

which I find incredible as basically on a brand new tv they want you to have some hard drive whirring away rather than a simple memory stick. Is this correct ? i have also mailed Philips direct to confirm.

i also rang Philips but my god their help line was terrible. Gave up after 15.

I don't have that model, but 4gb file limit usually applied to FAT32 filesystem. So just format memory stick on pc to fat filesystem and it should work. Downside you wont be able load mkv's with bigger than 4gb filesize. For bigger files use another memory stick with nfts as exfat does not work on damn philips tv's ...
Also be careful with minimum writing speed as some memory sticks can't write at that speed for longer than 1 minute even so they claim more than double speed....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom