recording time on DAB radios

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by dude1971, Apr 18, 2007.

1. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that I'd already posted this question, I must have imagined that I did!

We need a DAB radio for work, to record when our colleagues are on so we can play it back to the other council members. My question is, what length of time can I record onto a good DAB radio? And what would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

The Dude

2. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Depends on a few factors. The bitrate of the station/recording and the size of the media, typically SD card.

1 MB per minute is a safe bet on most stations, given the typically low bitrate of DAB broadcasts and you'll get more on some stations. A two hour recording on Radio Five Live is around 70MB, for example. A 1GB SD card will be enough for most needs, with a bit of space for archiving. Basically, with the price of SD cards being low these days, get the biggest size you can afford below the max size, as these usually come at a premium. Bear in mind some radios may not cope with larger capacity cards, but 1 GB is usually OK and can be had for around a tenner.

Saying all that, a radio with internal memory (i.e. not removable cards) may suit if the capacity suits your requirements.

3. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Prof Yaffle (great name, BTW)

I've looked on the websites and none of them seem to mention internal memory, is it standard on all of them?

Thanks

D

4. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The Oono MiniDAB has it, but that's probably it for radios that record as far as internal memory goes. 128MB (approx 2 hours worth) if you don't use the optional SD card.

This radio is possibly a good choice for you as it also has voice recording and is small with a speaker.

Note there's a newer version which may have more memory etc.

5. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liking the look of the Bug one!

That's on my shortlist, will check out the Mini one next Prof Yaff, thanks :thumbsup:

6. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we have a winner, be great to see the leader of the council's face when he has to listen to The Bug one day :smashin:

Thanks for your help guys (and gals, you never can tell on a public forum...)

7. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I've got a Bug and, with the latest firmware, it's been superb. You can get an original Bug for less than £60 here (albeit Grade A stock) and whilst it lacks the Bug Too's dedicated Standby button, it's essentially the same once you've upgraded the firmware. It's also built of a slightly higher standard of casing than the Bug Too...

Good choice if it suits your needs!

8. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a great price, a work colleague paid much more for their brand new one (albeit in Grey/silver) but it's only for work so what do I care :)

Thanks for the advice