1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording the widescreen switching signal onto the VCR tape?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Joe Pineapples, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Whenever i play back a program from the VCR, which was recorded from skydigital, and presented in widescreen, the tv does not automatically pickup the recording as a widescreen image. I then have to manually choose the 16:9 aspect on the tv, to show the image in the ratio intended.

The video in question is a Panasonic HD-675B, (about four years old), and the tv is a Toshiba 32" PF2. Everything is daisy-chained via 21 pin scarts, and the tv has no problem auto aspect/format switching with a direct (live) skydigital signal.

any ideas?

Dean

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Not all VCRs can record the signal so maybe the signal isn't recorded.

Although I had a Pansonic VCR from 1995 which did record the signal!

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    There are two WSS triggers. The first is transmitted via a SCART cable (pin 8 IIRC). Your VCR will definitely not support this and there's no way to make it do so.

The second forms part of the picture signal and is contained in one of the unwatchable spare lines of the picture - line 23 IIRC. This WILL be recorded if its present on the source. However, not all TVs have detection for this on board.

It may be therefore that your TV only looks for the SCART WSS, which doesn't exist when replaying a tape. It may be possible to enable the line 23 WSS on the TV via the service menu; if you can find this menu, look for the term PALPLus.

4. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Thanks men - some good info there. The weird thing is that i could swear that something i once recorded off Skyone (Enterprise - in widescreen), was picked up by the tv as widescreen on playback. I remember during visual-search through the adverts, the picture jumped back to my chosen default aspect ('super-live' - Tosh's name for its picture stretching mode), then it siwtched to widescreen again when the tape was resumed at normal speed (i have read somewhere the signal is lost during visual search).

So if this was the case, then i'm not sure what has happened since - i havent changed anything. :confused: