Recording subtitles with DVD recorder and/or PVR

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hearingdog, Jan 9, 2008.

1. hearingdog

hearingdog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being profoundly deaf I require subtitles with everything I watch but am having considerable problem in finding suitable equipment that will record them (my old Panasonic VCR did but that has just developed expensive fault).
    Would welcome any comment / advice /recommendation.

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    my new sony 970b has an option in the menu for subtitles , although I dont require them so havent turned it on

there is a manual in pdf style listed in one of the other threads here so have a look at that as it covers the 870 as well

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
  4. hearingdog

hearingdog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased Panasonic DMR-EZ27 because it stated in the manual that subtiytles could be recorded and then found it was possible with manual record but didn't work with timer record!
    Have emailed Sony for info re the HX870 / 970.

5. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I have the Panasonic EX87 and i timer recorded one programme with subtitles and it worked. haven't tried it with a manual recording, but i assume it will work.

6. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Yes, I have just confirmed recording of subtitles will work on both manual and timer recordings on the Panasonic EX77/EX87 range of recorders.

@hearingdog Did you turn the subtitle option on in the Timer Recording screen?

7. hearingdog

hearingdog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No - . Selected Subtitles ON in main menu but obviously I missed the option in Timer Recording Screen. Silly buxxxx. Thks Adrian-F.

8. deckard2006

deckard2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys

Can someone please confirm for me that the Sony RDR-HXD870 definitely allows you to transfer hard disk recordings with subtitles, onto DVD and still retain the subtitles on the DVD recording?

Cheers

Andrew

9. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Hi Andrew

It will, only if the subtitles are present on the recording that was on the hard disc.

Subtitles are not switchable options on Domestic DVDR's recordings.

They have to be 'burned in' to the recording , and once there are not removable.

10. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    To elaborate: What I mean is that once present - they are not switchable options.

It IS an option to change a setting that permits them to be recorded in the first place... but once on the recording they are a permanent part of it and no longer switchable.

11. Geofbob

Geofbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I'm surprised that there's any difficulty. Since PVRs actually copy the original digital signal, they will enable subtitles to be switched on & off the recording, so long as they were available on the original programme (though to be certain they can simply be switched on before the recording is made). And any HDD/DVD recorder will record subtitles, so long as they are switched on when the recording is made - they simply form part of the image.

I guess that being deaf your TV has subtitles switched on permanently, which should make the process even easier.

12. deckard2006

deckard2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys so far so good.

Now for a variation on my question....my parents have a PVR with hard disk and twin digital tuners (so they can watch one channel while recording another). Are there any standalone (ie. not built into a PVR unit) DVD recorders which will record the subtitles on a programme outputted from the PVR's hard disk (over SCART for example)?

Things is nice though the HXD870 is (and the current Sony models) they only have one digital and one analogue tuner (the latter wil be useless when we all switch over to digital TV only). So want to stick with their existing twin digital tuner PVR.

Thanks

Andrew

13. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Any DVD recorder will do this.
    It will record whatever is fed into it, and if recordings are fed out with the subtitles displayed, they will be recorded , and be a permanent part of the recording. [ i.e. Not switch-able ]

14. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I'm sure all Recorders burn the subtitles into the picture and don't encode them with separate subtitles streams like DVDs do.

When recording from Scart (any source, PVR or otherwise) the DVD Recorder records EXACTLY what it's fed.

So if you have Subtitles on, they'll be burnt in. If you happen to press the Guide button during recording, this will be burnt in. Whatever appears on the screen will be recordeded. It's a very basic "record whatever I receive" feed.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009