Recording subtitles from TV on a DVD

Brian L

Established Member
Reaction score
I am quite deaf so I rely upon subtitles heavily. I know that I can not record subtiltes using the VHS recorder I have although I have been told that there is equipment avalable.
Is it possible to record subtitles ona DVD recorder?

I think some if not most S-VHS machines will record the subtitles though I'm not totally sure about this as I've never owned an S-VHS recorder. Can anyone confirm or deny this ?

In the RNID information it says that most S-VHS machines will record and playback subtitles - although this is not readily advertised by the manufacturers for some reason.

Hi

Subtitle playback on S-VHS machines is not delibrate. It is simply possible because the extra resolution means the teletext signals (these hold the subtitles) are recorded with enough detail to allow the TV to still decode them on playback from S-VHS tape. It is also possible to browse normal teletext recorded at the time of the TV program, although not always reliably.

DVD Recorders actually strip out the teletext signal completely as this would reduce the quality on the picture if it had to be encoded, so you do not get the teletext subtitles, as they are simply not present in the playback signal.

The reason the recorder keeps the Sky+ subtitles is simply because these are layered over the picture by the digital box, and reach the DVD recorder as a normal TV picture, i.e. the subtitles are decoded and are part of what you are watching, and just get recorded along with the rest of the picture.

Regards

Philip

Philip.
I am sorry if I appear stupid but although I read what you write I have to say that although I have recorded material with subtitles they have never shown when I reply that material.
How do I make that happen or is it that my VHS recorder is not of the type that does allow such a function to happen?

VHS machines cannot record teletext subtitles.
Sky Digital and Freeview have an option in their menu to enable subtitle display whenever they are broadcast.You must enable them for them to appear.Then you can record them on your vhs,svhs or even dvd recorder,as they are on the actual recording and cannot be turned off

But if you get Sky+,it is actually possible to watch the programme,or run it over to vhs,with subs,then change the sub display over to watch or record it again without subs

Philip.
Many thanks, I now understand that I need Sky Digital and Freeview for their subtiltes. Thats a pitty because as I am a grumpy old sod I hate the thought of having tp pay anything that will go into the pockets of Murdoch as in the case of Sky.
I know that there is a large post on subtitling on the RNID foru but its up the creek at the moment so I will look at it when its back on line.
Many thanks again. Brian L

phelings said:
Sky Digital and Freeview have an option in their menu to enable subtitle display whenever they are broadcast.You must enable them for them to appear.Then you can record them on your vhs,svhs or even dvd recorder,as they are on the actual recording and cannot be turned off

Some VHS machines do record subtitles. My Panasonic NV-HD685 (probably since updated) records subtitles automatically, for EVERY recording on terrestrial tv. And it records them in the closed format, which means that I can then choose whether or not to have the subtitles on during playback. I have to say it's a godsend for me and my deaf partner.
It also has a bonus feature for those of us who still have some shop bought videos - where again you can choose to have subtitles on or off during playback (only available on video tapes with closed captions - indicated by a small square speech bubble on the case).
I know that it's not the only VHS player to be able to record subtitles, and earlier in this thread, it's been mentioned that all S-VHS players can record subtitles from analogue tv, as the teletext signals are automatically recorded alongside the picture.

Brian L said:
Philip.
Many thanks, I now understand that I need Sky Digital and Freeview for their subtiltes. Thats a pitty because as I am a grumpy old sod I hate the thought of having tp pay anything that will go into the pockets of Murdoch as in the case of Sky.
I know that there is a large post on subtitling on the RNID foru but its up the creek at the moment so I will look at it when its back on line.
Many thanks again. Brian L

If you go for Freeview, you don't need Sky or to give any money to Murdoch. You will just need to buy a Freeview box (these are as little as £50), there are no monthy fees. Or get a DVD recorder with Freeview built in (currently only one Sony model without HDD... others coming later in the year).

Mark

phelings said:

S-VHS machines can (as stated by a previous poster) when recording from an off-air analogue signal. The enhanced video frequency response of S-VHS machines allow them to record the teletext signals with a good enough quality to be decoded. This is best done through a s-video or scart connection, because an rf modulated signal might not have sufficient bandwidth to render the teletext properly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom