1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording Sky

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ramjam55, Jan 5, 2005.

1. ramjam55

ramjam55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all,

I'm considering building a HTPC and if possible would like to record sky and FTA satellite. How would I go about doing this ? Would like to record in RGB as I have a panasonic HS2 which does that at the moment, so if the HTPC does the same job then I could replace it. If not the HS2 will stay.

New to HTPC so any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ramjam
    I think it should be possible. Just building a pc myself & that's one of the things I want it to do.
    Have a look at the Sweetspot processor.
    It claims to do exactly that.

3. ramjam55

ramjam55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    This looks an ideal card, however at 175 quid it's half the price of my entire system (spec'd a good system for £250). Was looking for something more reasonably priced.
    Good luck with your build.

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    There's nothing currently available AFAIK that can match the Sweetspot for price and performance for capturing RGB. Everything else is limited to s-video at best.

What do you plan to do with the video after you've captured it? Sounds like you plan to capture, then edit, then burn to DVD? - ie replace the functionality of the HS2. If so then you will see a drop in quality if you go with s-video as opposed to RGB. If you plan to watch video via the Sweetspot and your HTPC, say using a plasma, as well as capture it then the Sweetspot is well worth the money. If all you want to do is capture, edit, burn - then stick with the HS2.

5. ramjam55

ramjam55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Was just going to use it to record a program, watch it and then either delete it or archive it on the HD. If I could have done this at a reasonable price then I could have sold my HS2, but since it looks like I'd have to spend a considerable amount on a card to do this I'll prob just put a DVB card in for freeview and use the HS2 for recording programs from SKY.

Cheers for the advice.