1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording sky

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by ubik, Jan 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just added a vcr to my sky\tv\dvd set up, can you record one sky channel whilst watching another? Can you use video+ with sky? I've tried it and it just seems to record the channel its tuned to

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    A SKY digibox has only one digital tuner so can only access a single channel at any one time, the same applies for digital cable and digital terrestrial.
    SKY+ has two tuners which allows you to record a channel and watch another and there are digital STB's for Freeview which do the same and one that allows you to watch two channels at the same time.

Sorry not sure how Videoplus works in relation to SKY, never had any reason to use it:)

3. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Videoplus does not work on sat channels. My advice would be to go for Sky+ which does both of what you require

4. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...or get a TiVo :smashin:

This will work perfectly with your existing Sky digibox, and will change channels and record programmes for you automatically 24 hours a day!

You can also watch a previously recorded programme while recording another, search for programmes by Actor, Director, Keyword etc., set "Season Passes" for your favourite shows and much, much, more :D:D

For more info see what is TiVo?, the official TiVo website, or have browse in the UK TiVo community forum

5. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

I get the impression TIVO is treated much like a loved pet by their owners!

Some objective advice though please:

Pros and cons of switching fromSky to Sky + or TIVO - bearing in mind that I intend to add things like Euro 1080 STB and want to record both from there and Sky without complication and at HiDef

HD will need to be upgraded - recommendations of suitable Co?

thanks

6. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lone Granger,

Neither Sky+ nor TiVo will record in native HiDef. The max resolution (hacked) of TiVo is 720x576. Don't know about Sky+ - but it ain't HiDef!!

TiVo will record from a Sky digibox and/or a Freeview STB with no problem - and with the benefit of up to 20 days advance EPG data for Sky or 14 days for Freeview.

If any Euro 1080 STBs are released in the UK then, as long as they respond to IR commands, it should be possible to add them to the database and hence the supported list of STBs for TiVo. Whether there will be any EPG data available is another question - although you can always make a "manual" timed recording.

See my other post for details about upgrading the HD.

7. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I do wonder if it would be easier to get Sky+ for everyday use (I am told the mthly charge has now been completely dropped) and add a dedicated HD recording device for HiDef material later

I presume Sky+ can take larger HD

8. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The monthly charge is only dropped if you subscribe to 2 premium channels - otherwise it's still £10pm :(

TiVo has so many advantages over Sky+ that, really, there's no contest. The only advantages of Sky+ are direct recording, DD5.1 and (maybe?) Dual record - although see here for how well that's been implemented :rolleyes:

Sky+ can take a bigger HD - but again, the thread above indicates that this is not a trouble-free option.

Edit: And fitting a bigger HD is not approved by Sky, either. Whereas TiVo accept that people fit bigger HDs and their employees participate in the Forums where people discuss all sorts of mods and hacks, including fitting of 3rd party network cards, hacking the Linux kernel to work with drives > 137gb etc. etc. :smashin:

9. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    many thanks for quick reply - I will go off and look at the link

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Lone Granger, seeing your posts in the plasma forum, sky+ is what you would be happiest with. Glad you picked up the nuances of tivo posts. The functionality of the device is simply amazing, but all the D-A-D-A coverting, ad infinitum, will get in the way for you I feel. You are a guy who is fussy about picture quality, some will be lost, it's an analogue device essentially.

11. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Oh Marvin now I am torn - having read all my net notes on Tivo till 4 this morning - I was sold on that!

If we ignore the HiDef side of things is the picture quality (set on max + any backdoor tweaks + Disc upgrade) appreciably worse on Tivo than Sky+ if viewed on a serious 50" plasma?!

Are you saying that Sky+ processes the image truly noticeably better?

thanks

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, I'm afraid so. Well not really, what I'm saying is that sky+ doesn't bother to process it at all until it comes out of the scart socket to you JS YUV converter, and into your iscanHD, in your case. In Tivo, it comes out of sky, converted to analogue. Through 2 scart sockets, same so far. Converted back to digital, in a £200 machine, 1/4 the price of the cheapest DVD you'd consider. Recorded digitally. Then on playback, converted back into analogue, off to another JS YUV converter, and into the iscan. Your call, mate.

13. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    damn! - sounds like the sky+ now.....

too much to hope for a PV with an internal Sky board??

any major downside to Sky+

can it be reliably tweaked and upgraded to any useful effect?

14. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    p.s. what is a JS YUV converter?!

I have heard and seen I Scan and Lumagen and similar - the device used at Event 2 on the plasmas was most convincing - playing DVD as if it was HD..

are you in the home cinema business?

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You have email.

16. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, I imagine you're an excellent salesman - and when you get a sucker in your shop I bet you manage to screw every last penny out of him with "technique" like that:smashin:

Trouble is, Sky is already a compressed digital signal, with significant amounts of artefacts on some channels - especially the lower bitrate ones. At the end of the day, the choice between Sky+ and TiVo comes down to functionality not PQ 99% of the time - as they're very different beasts.

If all he's interested in is PQ - period, then maybe he would be happier with Sky+ - but, to be fair, he should see both in action, in a representative setup (as you describe), play with them both for a week, then decide. Implying (with bells on!) that TiVo's PQ is sh*te by comparison to Sky+ is a very cheap and dirty way to try and swing the argument.

Maybe, in the interest of fairness, you'd like to mention some of Sky+'s downsides as he has requested. I should think a link to the DS SKY+ forum would be a good start :devil:

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Blindlemon, your love affair with your tivo box is your own affair, I am well aware of sky's drawbacks. I do not sell sky, so your highly coloured comments are quite out of order. I am a professional sales person, but not the way you seem to think, yes I often lend people kit to try at home. I can't lend sky+ at home, or even demonstrate it as I don't have it myself. Many of my clients do, one or 2 even have tivos. I recommend them to some people. Not to this gentleman, he wants HDTV, a high end 50" plasma based home cinema system, and as much picture quality as can be managed. This means not throwing away anything at all if there's a way of keeping it. So I recommend him a solution from which I make no money at all. Your call I believe.

18. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Handbags ladies... ;) (blindlemon, you're way off base by the way...)

19. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,

Sorry if I offended - I got the impression from your post that you were just trying to imply that TiVo PQ would be a disaster because of the extra A-D-D-A conversions - whereas I know that many people with large screen TVs or plasmas use TiVo quite happily. I was also unaware that you don't sell Sky+.

I understand that some people are obesssed with ultimate PQ to the exclusion of almost anything else - hence my comment that "If all he's interested in is PQ - period, then maybe he would be happier with Sky". When I was younger I was very interested in photography, but after one visit I avoided "camera clubs" like the plague - as their main function seemed to be to allow a bunch of sad guys to compare the size and resolution of ther lenses! I suspect some AV enthusiasts (especially those with 50" plasmas;)) are the same.

Personally, I was always more interested in taking and seeing good photos than in the comparative merits (or cost!) of the equipment. Thus with TiVo vs. Sky+. I admit I'm a very vocal TiVo supporter, and may seem to some to be obsessed with it. However, what really interests me about TiVo is the usefullness of the thing - and the way it really is a radical alternative to watching Live TV, or using a dumb VCR or Sky+.

I've never pretended that TiVo has better PQ than Sky+, but my worry is that people (especially those new to PVRs) find it too easy to get hung up on a point like PQ - when a few hours spent playing with a TiVo will usually convince all but the most obsessive PQ freaks that, yes, it really is better than Sky+, despite the slight tradeoff in PQ.

I suspect that if Lone Granger can afford a 50" Plasma and all the other high end gear you and he are discussing, then an extra few hundred quid for a lifetime-subbed TiVo (for "non-PQ-critical" viewing, shall we say;)) would hardly be missed - and he'd have the best of all worlds :)

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Apology well accepted, I am not in fact discussing anything sales wise with the lone granger, just he has a few posts out at present, all talking hi=def and high end gear. I do deal in that kind of thing, though not as often as I'd like. There's no more profit in it than relatively down to earth kit, but it is interesting even though I have no beard! The workings of tivo are still a marvel to me as I said, and it was 1st, which is brave. I also quite understand that there's not very much wrong with RGB scart as an output. I take my hat off to it. What we need is a new tivo box with digital tuner, DVI and component video as well as RGB scart. I could sell them!

21. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Morning gentlemen

didnt mean to start world wide fisticuffs between Camp Tivo & Camp Sky........

BL dont get me wrong - I shall have to sell and downgrade my car plus borrow very heavily to achieve my goal - I am blessed with being a frustrated perfectionist - even my company was christened 'Ultimate Design' ...!

Having seen HD a number of years ago on Sharp's stand with one of their early development small LCD running off D-Theater -- I and any other perfectionist was well and truly hooked...

I have written to various HC mags including a fellow called Pipe declaring my frustration with DVD PQ performance and desire for HD and requesting an article so that all readers could understand comparative resolutions./ - eg how does output of a Digital still, digicamcorder, Playstation, DVD, DVHS, D-Theater, Sat compare and relate to differing display devices..

His reply, if I recall correctly, though lenghthy, carried the blunt message that I should be grateful for DVD and that HD does not exist and if it did would not hit Europe for 20 yrs if ever.

Well, I see that he finally listened and has now done a reasonable 2 page article in the new Plasma Mag

He has clearly finally accepted that HD does in fact exist and his team were more than a little impressed with recent USA exhibits

He may also now have noticed that it didnt take 20 yrs for first Euro HD - not even 20 mths - early days I know - however I forsee BluRay or its equivalent and HD STB being used in the UK in the hundreds + at the turn of this year.

Long live HD - 1080P anyone?

Still not sure about the Tivo issue.......!

22. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll second that :smashin:

23. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I had a spare one I'd be happy to lend it to you :)

However, given the way TiVo prices are going on eBay at the moment, I suspect you could buy one from there, use it for a couple of months, and (big IF here;)) ... if you weren't happy with it - sell it again for a profit! :smashin:

24. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I dont suppose we have any reliable intel on a new Euro Tivo release??!!

25. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think any Sky source, including Sky+, is going to look pretty terrible on a 50-inch plasma if you apply A/V criteria to it.

In fact I've seen posting on Digital Spy saying that the picture quality from the latest Sky+ box is noticably poorer than a normal Sky box.

If you just look at it as watching telly though, rather and as an audiovisual experience, TiVo's quality is just fine.

26. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - I wonder how much the DA converters in the Sky+ boxes cost... any advance on 50p? :devil: