1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording Sky with Sweetspot

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by darktherapy, Jul 21, 2005.

1. darktherapy

darktherapy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

When you reocrd Sky using a Sweetspot card, how are you capturing the sound? Is the sound sent through the RGB cable, or have you connected the Sky box using a seperate cable from the Sky box to the audio input of the PC?

Can you use an optical cable from the Sky box to the PC, and then the PC to the Amplifier to enable you to watch and record Sky in DTS? If so, what sound card would I need (since the one on my motherboard only has one SPDIF out).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Darren

2. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sweetspot does not record sound - it has no audio input whatsoever.

Only Sky+ has an optical out (to my knowledge) so you can run an optical line into your computer then through to your amp. Alternatively you can run from the phonos of either box into the "line in" of your computer.

There are a few soundcards out there with SPDIF in - have a search of the forums to see what you can find.

Hope this helps

G

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I doubt you'll find any PVR software that will record the audio bitstream from sky.
    Its technically possible but I don't recall any software that does it.
    Probably the best you will get is analogue stereo.

I wouldn't recommend you use the sweetspot to record Sky. It is possible but the recorded files will be huge ( 1Gb a minute for huffyuv). You'd be better off with a haupage PVR150 or similar that has an onboard mpeg encoder . I still don't regard these as being all that great qualitywise but a lot of people rate them and they have lots of support in common PVR packages.

4. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr.D is right, if you are planning to use the Sweetspot as a PVR.

However! If you can stretch to it, my setup is working quite well at the mo. Use Sky+ as your PVR, and view it on your HTPC. Then, when you want to archive, use iuVCR or equivelent to record from your Sky box on to the HTPC at high quality then backup to DVD or whatever. This is working out well for me.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Yeah thats probably how I'd do it. Sky+ box , sweetspot and dscaler for viewing purposes.

6. darktherapy

darktherapy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GillyKid, you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I want to do. Use Sky+ as the PVR, and archive onto the PC and then DVD.

What compression/encoding are you using for archiving purposes? Are you creating data DVD's or 'real' DVD's without compression/encoding?

How have you connected the audio between sky and the PC?

Thanks,

D

7. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As I use the Sky+ audio out sockets for a second room, I simply modified the supplied sweetspot RGB cable to connect the scart L/R audio out pins to my PC audio in 3.5 jack. Works a treat - Sky+ RGB and sound to PC via 1 cable.

I use dscaler for viewing and my DVD authoring program to capture in DVD mpeg2 format ready for burning.

8. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The encoding is done with an MPEG2 codec (can't remember which one - i will check) via iuVCR. This is then turned into real DVDs.

Genius! I am using the Optical In at the moment - but yours is a great solution as many don't have SPDIF :thumbsup:

9. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

Regarding capturing Sky with sweetspot ... My capture and DVD authoring software (Ulead DVD Workshop 2.0) has an option to de-interlace the capture. Question is should I be doing that?

From what I can gather it's best to leave an interlaced source (i.e. RGB Sky input) as interlaced as the deinterlace process will compromise the quality of the output file - after all your losing half the data!

My problem is that I'd like a solution which allows me to have compatible MPEG2 files which look good on the PC's progressive display as well as when burnt to DVD and used on a TV. Is there any hard and fast rules for this?

Thanks in advance for any advice!