Recording Sky TV

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by UnknownSoldier, Aug 7, 2006.

Tags:
  1. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, can PVR's record sky? as in timeshifting, etc? also, would video+ work with a PVR/Sky?

Tar

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
  3. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, not even if you had the PVR in between the sky box & tv? the reason im asking is that I have been looking at the "YAKUMO DVD Record Master". I know its cheap and nasty & not the best makes, but it supports divx, therefore was planning on copying all movies on the HDD for localised media center, but also as I got sky last week, wanted it to be able to pause, etc live tv and record programs using some scheduling feature, etc.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    You can use a HDD-DVD machine (as it says in the thread I linked to above) to record from external sources (such as a Sky box). Such a setup will only record one thing at once, and, since it is wholly dependent on the Sky box for Sky reception, you can't use it to record one thing while watching another. Some HDD-DVD recorders can pause the signal they are recording, while continuing to record; some have a programme guide, and some can change channels (using an infra-red "dongle") on a Sky box or similar. I can't comment on the model you mention. And, since it is primarily a DVD recorder, you may get more input in the DVD recorders forum.

5. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheer mate, Just trying to get an understanding on whether i am looking at the right devices to make sure they are fit of purpose. I know its not a great deal of money, but no point wasting it.

6. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Just had a look at the spcs on this. Not sure but looks like it has one analogue tuner. Also was it designed for US as it seems it may have S-Video and component but no RGB output. So if you do not have component inputs on your TV you may be stuck with S-Video which many consider inferior to RGB. Could be wrong those spec sheets from dealers often are.

7. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Not much :D just standard issue I presume. That spec is pretty much what I had looked at. Again no mention of RGB so that might or might not be a factor with you. Basically looks like a recorder rather than a PVR so perhaps as I think Nigel suggested above the experts on this kind of kit are in the DVD recorder forum; Good Luck