Recording: Sky+ to DMRES10. Basic help needed pls

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ftogpx, Mar 15, 2006.

1. ftogpx

ftogpx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys. Please excuse my lack of knowledge :)

I was wondering if it's possible to record something i've got stored on my sky+ box to DVD, and still watch sky whilst it's recording. If so, could you talk me through what cables I need to connect to what. I think at the moment i've got the TV output from the sky box going to EXT1 on the TV (Sharp LC26P50) which is meant to be RGB, and EXT2 from the TV to the ES10. Then another scart from vcr output of sky box to other input on es10. Is this all making sense? :)

Thanks guys

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316

I was wondering if it's possible to record something i've got stored on my sky+ box to DVD, and still watch sky whilst it's recording.

No it isn't - but you can watch what you are recording to DVD-R if you want.
    Most people I know use the SkyPlus copy facility and dump to DVD-R while they're in bed - no problems with it hogging the unit then.

If so, could you talk me through what cables I need to connect to what. I think at the moment i've got the TV output from the sky box going to EXT1 on the TV (Sharp LC26P50) which is meant to be RGB, and EXT2 from the TV to the ES10. Then another scart from vcr output of sky box to other input on es10. Is this all making sense? :)

While that works, it looks like you will only get composite video fed into your ES10 to record to DVD-R - you could connect as follows

1:-
    SKY TV SCART (RGB) - ES10 SCART (AV2)
    ES10 AV1 SCART (RGB out) - TV SCART (RGB in - (EXT1 ??)

OR
    2:- (if your TV has component video IN)
    SKY TV SCART (RGB) - ES10 SCART (RGB IN)
    ES10 Component OUT - TV Component IN (with audio jacks used for sound)

Method 1 will give you RGB Sky output on the TV as well as into the ES10 - the ES10 has a nifty video switcher built in which is active even when the unit is in standby.
    Getting an RGB feed into the DVD recorder should definitely be a priority - the Sky signal is so much better via RGB than composite video (which obviously would mean better quality DVDs recorded from Sky)

Method 2 has the possible advantage that it will convert interlaced RGB from the Sky STB to progressive component video output - it depends on the TV, but the DVD recorder's deinterlacer might be better than the one in the TV (unfortunately, only actually trying it will tell you that)