Recording Sky Probs

mac1611

Standard Member
Hi Folks
Just had Sky installed and I've discovered an irritating prob. My sky box goes through my dvd recorder via scart and when this is switched off no probs ,perfect picture when I watch Sky . However if I switch dvd recorder on and try to record sky I get intermitent flashing horizontal lines appear now and again .This never used to happen when I had my old freeview box intalled .Anyone got any ideas whats causing it? :(
Thanks.

FRANTIC FRANC

Novice Member
Urrgghh! The Digibox needs to go direct to your TV via scart. The DVD recorder should scart up to the VCR scart socket on the Digibox. You should then be able to record Sky through AV1 on your recorder. Make sure the digibox has RGB output enabled.
Cheers, Franc

mac1611

Standard Member
Thanks Franc
Still got problem .Watching Sky, no probs, watching a recording made from Sky flippin flashing lines every 8 mins or so even on terrestial channels.!!! Tried new dvd recorder same prob. Could it be something to do with scart leads or macrovision?. Had the same setup with freeview box and no lines???::(

FRANTIC FRANC

Novice Member
I saw this problem last week on a flat panel Samsung (or was it an LG? Can't remeber which now). The customer's recordings would flash at the same point of the recording every time. They had a TV engineer visit and he blamed the Sky+ box saying something about the TV's chipset struggling with the Sky+'s output. When I arrived I tried a 12 year old Sony portable on the Sky+ box using the same leads etc. Played perfectly at the points where the flashes occurred on the flat panel! I advised the customer to get them to exchange it for a better make who got straight on the phone (you should have heard her on the phone complaining to Currys!! Couldn't repeat it :D

Cheers, Franc

mac1611

Standard Member
Hi Franc
me again !.Tried swopping tv s and problem still there. Decided to reboot Box using the 'reload software method' as described on this forum . As the box was rebooting and reloading the dvd recorder came up with 'scart input macrovision' it stayed ther until box fully reloaded and guess what the problem still there. Could it be something to do with macrovision as when I tried to record BBC 1 tonight picture had lines appearing and then went from dark to light as though someone was fiddling with the contrast. turned off dvd recorder and picture perfect again . I give up !!.Phoned sky who hadnt a clue ,kept on telling me to switch box off and on etc. :confused: