Recording Sky on a hard drive

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Todda, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to buy an HCPC which I am going to connect Sky+ to with a sweetspot card, and send to a plasma via Dscaler.

Because I have Sky+, I do not need to use the PC as my primary recording device but I would still like to be able to record somethings onto the hard drive.

Can somebody please advise if it is possible with the system I mention to recoed at the touch of a button, like you can with an external video recorder.

Thanks

2. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody?

3. groovyclam

groovyclam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SweetSpot is a capture card and as such you can capture the signal to HD. It is not a hardware encoding card though.

*You* will have to set the right software system up for this. Search for signal capture and encoding software and many alternatives will come up ( both free and commercial). It's a big subject.

If you want it to automatically change the channel number on the Sky box before the capture then you will need more software and an IR device that can *send* IR signals ( such as the RedRat3 or UIRT )

By "press a button" - if you mean on a keyboard then that is simple, if you mean on a remote control then you will definitely need an IR device and software for receiving and acting on IR signals.

You will also need a fast processor so you don't get dropped frames when doing on the fly software encoding of the capture. Depending on how much capturing you are doing you may need a lot of disk space. An hour of DVB mpeg2 transmission is roughly 2Gig. You would use something like XviD to encode and thus you choose to trade size vs quality. I think you can get a fairly good quality encode at under 1G for 1 hour with XviD.

The short answer is yes but your next step is to start researching capture software and codecs.