Recording Sky HD to other equipment ?

Steve N

Distinguished Member
I know this can be done in SD but I want HD :)

I suppose I'm asking if there is such a thing as an HD/Bluray Recorder available in the UK yet.
My Sky box seems to be permanently full.
Also the editing ability on an HDR would be a great help too. I'd like to record the Music HD channel (384) almost non stop then just cut out the tracks I want.

Don't suppose there is such a thing yet ?

sizedoesmatter

I know this can be done in SD but I want HD :)

I suppose I'm asking if there is such a thing as an HD/Bluray Recorder available in the UK yet.
My Sky box seems to be permanently full.
Also the editing ability on an HDR would be a great help too. I'd like to record the Music HD channel (384) almost non stop then just cut out the tracks I want.

Don't suppose there is such a thing yet ?

Not if you want HD copies, during the transfer process (usually via scart) the HD drops to SD & then quality will be affected by whatever you set yr recorder to. I have a DVD recorder & archive stuff onto that. DVD-RW in VR mode (I think its VR) if you were happy with SD quality would allow you to archive say 3 solid hours of music with ads & then edit those ads out for continuous music

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Not if you want HD copies, during the transfer process (usually via scart) the HD drops to SD & then quality will be affected by whatever you set yr recorder to. I have a DVD recorder & archive stuff onto that. DVD-RW in VR mode (I think its VR) if you were happy with SD quality would allow you to archive say 3 solid hours of music with ads & then edit those ads out for continuous music
Thanks for the reply. I've been doing SD for years on my trusty 400gig Panny -186 Hours in standard quality :D

It's just a pain not having HD. I know you can lump a bigger memory into the Sky box and it'll save in HD so you'd think there'd be some way to bolt together a Sky HD box to some sort of Recorder to get a stand alone device with editing facilities. I know you wouldn't get 5.1 etc but that wouldn't worry me.

Martin J.

It's just a pain not having HD. I know you can lump a bigger memory into the Sky box and it'll save in HD so you'd think there'd be some way to bolt together a Sky HD box to some sort of Recorder to get a stand alone device with editing facilities. I know you wouldn't get 5.1 etc but that wouldn't worry me.
You get 5.1 with the Hauppauge, but you need a computer and a box with component outputs, as Stevie mentioned.

There were a few lengthy, detailed threads on the subject in the forum. No idea where they are now, but a forum search (of the entire site) should turn them up.

Batch

I device can be used to convert HDMI to component in order to use the Hauppage device, however they are pricey at around £150.

JH4

Yeh, that's the biggest failing of Sky HD - no archiving facility from the box, and no editing. A real crime.. (Even the cheapest DVD recorders do editing.)
Someone will come along with a BD recorder with an HDMI "in" socket soon maybe... Sony - are you listening ? We're waiting...........
( I'm ignoring the HDMI copyright protection - obviously, but we can dream, can't we ? )

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom