Recording saved programmes from Sky+ onto DVD

JAMIN

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Panasonic DMR-ES10 DVD recorder and will be setting it up tonight. Firstly I have some saved programmes on Sky+ which I want to record onto DVD so I can then delete them off of the box. Is this possible, is it easy to do & can I take out the adverts when putting them onto DVD?

Secondly I assume if I wanted to record something from Sky straight onto DVD I would have to be watching this channel and couldn't be watching something else?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Don't use the VCR Scart to connect to the recorder, you will only get composite out from there. Make sure you use the TV scart and that you have the TV settings in sky+ to RGB not PAL. Make sure the panny is configured for RGB input too.

sadly you have opted for the model without the built-in hard drive so your editing out of adverts etc will not be as easy as it could have been.

Yes, you will see on the TV screen what you are recording to the DVD.

I have done some copying from Sky+ box to DVD recorder.

You use the COPY function in the Sky+ software (RED button). It then send the recording to the connected recorder. However, you cannot adjust the programme while it is playing back. You can'r pause, fast forward etc since any press of a key on the Sky remote will cause it to stop.

The only way to take out adverts is to use PAUSE key on the DVD recorder.

Presumably if I were watching the programme I had saved from Sky+ & recorded it then I could pause the recorder during the adverts and then un-pause once I had forwarded past them?

As regards the set up I have as follows:

From the telly scart AV1 to Sky+ TV scart
From the telly scart AV2 to DVD Recorder scart AV1 (TV)
From the DVD Recorder scart AV 2 (Decoder/EXT) to Sky+ VCR scart

Is this ok & if not what is the best way of setting up?

I have now tried to tune the DVD recorder in but the only channels it finds are the 5 terrestrial ones which presumably come via the RF cable. It wont pick up the Sky+ which means I cant record anything off of Sky. To compound this the picture I am getting for the terrestrial channels is terrible.

Please can someone help & tell me if I have set this up wrong!

:lease:

You won't receive the Sky box on a channel number. Depending on which AV scart you're connecting the Sky box to, it will appear on AV1, AV2, AV3 or AV4, which you can select with the channel up/down buttons - AV1 is below channnel 1.

I would reccomend NOT using the sky+ box for the advert removal. You end up having the little green spinning dial appear over your recording.

It's easier to do all of your editing on the DVD recorder. Using DVD-RAM makes the job simple but without a hardrive in the dvd recorder, you will need a PC with a DVD that can recognise DVD-ram disks (most new ones can) in order to transfer to a normal DVD. I used this method successfully to record the entire Live 8 concert - managed to remove all the 'Wossy commentry' (sorry Jonathon :hiya: )

Even better, get a DVD recorder with a hard drive. Makes it a doddle :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom