Recording problems with Astra HD / HD 1 with Skystar 2

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by RecordablDVDfan, Mar 1, 2005.

1. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I've just upgraded to a 3.06ghz HT cpu from a 2.4ghz celeron and of course I now get perfect reception of the 2 HD channels but when recording with Prog DVB after about 15 secs or so the video and sound breakup some what, any ideas why anyone ? I thought I would have enough power now to make recs or not ? I have 512MB of RAM would putting another 512MB i(P2700 333mhz) in help ?

2. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The SkyStar 2 has always had an incompatibility with hyperthreading (as well as dual processor systems). What you’re describing is the typical symptom of that incompatibility. Disabling hyperthreading in your BIOS will fix this, but then you’d lose the benefit of HT in your other apps. A better solution would be to limit your DVB app to run on a single virtual processor.

Check if ProgDVB has an option to do this. I use MyTheatre myself -- it lets you specify which processor to run on, specifically to get around this SkyStar 2 bug. Otherwise you could always use an utility like RunOnCPU to constrain ProgDVB to a single virtrual processor.

Cheers.

3. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I did disable HT in the bios but this made the video break up a fair bit so I do need the HT option for smooth video. I have added 512MB so with 1GB of RAM I can now record almost 3 mins before the picture starts loosing frames anyway. Will a new HDD with a 16MB cache help also ?

I will try RunonCPU later.. Tell me I can't get anywhere with My Theatre. What settings do you have assuming you are running or have used a SS2 ? I set it to scan AStra 19 deg but all channels say nothing found