Recording Problem with Sony RDR-HXD560

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mcauburn, Sep 18, 2007.

1. mcauburn

mcauburn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I auto tune my Sony RDR-HXD560 it finds 3 channels with BBC4 on, 007, 801, and 895. The reception is perfect on 007 and 895, but 801 keeps breaking up. Whenever I try to record BBC4, whether it's from the EPG or the manual timer, it always records the 801 channel with the bad reception.
    I have tried retuning my box and hiding channel 801 but nothing works. I also have the same problem with recording Channel 5, but no other channels.
    Does anybody have any ideas on what to do?

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    BBC4 should be freeview channel 9 (I presume you have typed in 007 by mistake).

The 801 and 895 pickups are probably from other nearby transmitters. Can you not just delete these channels?

3. mcauburn

mcauburn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There doesn't seem to be any way to delete channels. You can hide them, but all that does is hide them from the programme list, and it still changes to the channel when I record. I have also tried blocking the channel, but that blocks every channel which has BBC4, etc on it (009,801, and 895)

4. speedyrite

speedyrite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have had a similar problem:http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620209

I logged a fault with Sony and eventually got a call back from them, the gist of which was "you need a directional aerial mate" - so no acceptance of any possibility of a software fault then!

Anyway I have successfully "fixed" the problem by re-scanning channels during the daytime, which unlike a scan at night-time, did not pick up any duplicate channels due to stray signals from alternative transmitters.

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    You could also try scanning with an attenuator in the aerial line in the hope that doing so would lose the fringe stations.

In cases of this nature, rather than simple rescanning, it is important to empty the contents of tuner memory settings completely before doing the rescan... by completely resetting the machine to factory condition.

6. speedyrite

speedyrite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Assuming that most people's aerial and cabling is not 100% perfect, and that most people are not going to bother fiddling about with adding attenuators etc into their setup, surely the preferred solution is for the HXD560's software to totally ignore any channels that are marked as hidden?

To me, that means if I've hidden a channel, I don't want to see it in the EPG (actually that bit works!) and crucially I don't want the tuner to select it to record from (that's the bit that doesn't seem to work!)

7. mcauburn

mcauburn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would doing a factory reset delete everything that is recorded to my HDD?

8. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Of course it is a preferred solution... but it doesn't do it - so one tries to find a workaround.
    The other option is to take effective action to force Sony to make some software changes.

Be my guest.
    I'll give you any support I can.

9. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    No. The recordings would remain.

See item 2 on page 101 of the manual about Factory set up.

It should be possible to reset only the DTV settings rather than the whole machine.

10. speedyrite

speedyrite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Agreed. My workaround is only to do channel scans during the daytime which seems to avoid tuning in any "unwanted" duplicate channels.

Again agreed but I can't see it happening! As a lot of software development and testing is all done on the cheap these days (what do I do for a living???) corners get cut and things get delivered to the customer warts and all. Thanks for the offer of support though.

11. mcauburn

mcauburn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried scanning during the day and nothing changed, then I tried doing a facroty reset and nothing changed again. Looks like nothing fixes it.

12. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095

Just a thought ... regarding the hiding of channels. On page 90 on the manual where it explains the process, in point 4 it describes pressing return repeatedly to exit.
    What it is not saying, is that if you exit by another route ...[ assuming there is one - I don't know I've never used one of these machines ] then the ignore settings will not be stored.

Worth investigating?

13. mrjjohnson

mrjjohnson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having the same problem. A post on another forum suggests an update to firmware v1.00.03CE will solve it. I have (original?) firmware v1.00.01CE.

Do Sony broadcast software for older players any more?

14. mcauburn

mcauburn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My player has firmware v1.01.10 CE and still has the problem. Not sure if any new firmware has been released since then though.

15. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    You are definitely picking up unwanted and weak stations from adjacent transmitters, that broadcast at different carrier frequencies. That's why you are getting multiple instances of the same channel being stored.
    Are you using a wideband aerial ?
    Have you checked what transmitters are close to you ?
    You have'nt mentioned what type of aerial you have, so:
    a. You need to get the correct band of Freeview aerial for your area.(Definitely NOT a wideband type.)
    b. Do a factory reset, and rescan. This should only pick up the 'correct' channels.
    Software updates are not the issue here, it's the aerial that's the problem.

16. mrjjohnson

mrjjohnson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, and thanks for the reply.
    I don't know the type of aerial.
    There are several transmitters nearby, but the freeview website suggests one likely and two possibles - Emley Moor (likely) Idle and Winter Hill.
    I agree the aerial is the issue for picking up 'incorrect' channels. However, the unit's software is choosing to record the 800 version of the channel when the 'proper' channel is selected in the EPG. Posts on another forum suggest when the 800 channels are manually hidden in firmware 01CE they are still recorded by default, whereas in 03CE they are hidden to the system as well as to the user.

17. mrjjohnson

mrjjohnson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Shame. User davidcope on this forum http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=482981 suggests that the problem was resolved with firmware version 03CE.