Recording pc gaming sessions?

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the best thing to use? I've tried using afterburner but couldn't get it to work. Does fraps still have a time limit for clips?

My CPU is a good one, core i5 sandybridge but I'm worries my card and fps will suffer. What do other people use?

I use FRAPS, theres only a time limit on the free trial version (30 seconds) otherwise the limiting factor is how much hard drive space you have for the files.

I've actually recently bough Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 11 (£18 in the Black Friday deal on Amazon) and i'm just trying to get the settings sorted for creating you-tube files from the Fraps files. Great bit of software.

Created a nice little intro for some future recordings with Vegas.

Last edited:
I know someone who highly recommends dxtory for being easy to setup and light to use (with minimal impact on performance).

I'm yet to get a chance to try it though

I can use FRAPS...however for some reason it seems to have an impact on my performance.

The actual game records smoothly and nicely but it plays at about 30 FPS or lower and feels like **** :(

Could it be that you have 30FPS locked frame rate box checked too?

I know someone who highly recommends dxtory for being easy to setup and light to use (with minimal impact on performance).

I'm yet to get a chance to try it though

Thanks i'll have a look at that. Seems it records multiple audio and into single files which may be better than Fraps.

I recorded a few videos with FRAPS once just to test, maybe its just me and having the trial version but the files were HUGE!! Only took about 10 vids and my FRAPS video folder was nigh on 4gb! :eek:

I recorded a few videos with FRAPS once just to test, maybe its just me and having the trial version but the files were HUGE!! Only took about 10 vids and my FRAPS video folder was nigh on 4gb! :eek:

Yeah the files are big. On average from a 15 min game in BF3 the files will come in at around 40gb.

Does the full version allow you to make smaller files?

Does the full version allow you to make smaller files?

File size all depends on your settings.

If recording at high FPS and at 1080p then the files will be large. Obviously the less resolution and FPS the smaller the file.

Bandicam is the one i use the most.

Really good for not reducing the frame rate whilst recording, 10 mins free recording per session on it for the free trial too.

Definatly recommended from me, works the same as FRAPS too.

Hey anyone got some ideas for my problem here..

Using Dxtory which works brilliantly, records it fine and has no performance drop.

I just cannot play back the videos as it states it cannot play back that file type (dxtory codec)

Annnddd the file size is huge!

ss20111130121621.png

Hey anyone got some ideas for my problem here..

Using Dxtory which works brilliantly, records it fine and has no performance drop.

I just cannot play back the videos as it states it cannot play back that file type (dxtory codec)

Annnddd the file size is huge!

It wont play in VLC but it plays in windows media player. All the clips i played though were very jerky in WMP.

I'm having problems with the files via vegas. Everytime i set it to run the built in Youtube 1080p setting (Its actually 1920 x 1072 for reasons i cant be bothered explaining ) and whatever file i have in there be it a fraps file or a dxtory file it crashes Vegas. Anyone any ideas?

May have to convert them all to windows video files instead as they seem to work.

Have you tried Windows Live Movie Maker? With my limited video editing experience I find it very easy to use and also quite versatile (and it's free).

It wont play in VLC but it plays in windows media player. All the clips i played though were very jerky in WMP.

I'm having problems with the files via vegas. Everytime i set it to run the built in Youtube 1080p setting (Its actually 1920 x 1072 for reasons i cant be bothered explaining ) and whatever file i have in there be it a fraps file or a dxtory file it crashes Vegas. Anyone any ideas?

May have to convert them all to windows video files instead as they seem to work.

Yea I know it was really jerky..so I turned down the settings to 720p and 30fps and it seems to playback fine.

The reason it was jerky is simply because of the huuggeee file size. its trying to read so much data at once.

Have you tried Windows Live Movie Maker? With my limited video editing experience I find it very easy to use and also quite versatile (and it's free).

Not sure Movie Maker works well with the 1080p files.

Yea I know it was really jerky..so I turned down the settings to 720p and 30fps and it seems to playback fine.

The reason it was jerky is simply because of the huuggeee file size. its trying to read so much data at once.

It may be easier better to re format the file before hand to say an mp4 file i use avidemux previously to drop 40 gb worth of fraps files too 1.5 a gb file.

QUality is still very good to and thats 1080p. I may try doing that to a fraps file and then putting that into vegas.

Ok i finally think i'm almost sorted with it all now. Creating mp4 files just seems to be a no go.

I created this earlier. Any opinions welcome on the quality. :thumbsup:

Watch in fullscreen 1080p to get the best view of it.

Ok i finally think i'm almost sorted with it all now. Creating mp4 files just seems to be a no go.

I created this earlier. Any opinions welcome on the quality. :thumbsup:

Watch in fullscreen 1080p to get the best view of it.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11 and Fraps 1080p Recording - YouTube

Comparing that clip with your others at 1080p, this looks like it has slightly more compression artifacts and stippling in differing shades, but does appear sharper in places. Depends on your preference really, personally I think your earlier 1080p stuff looked a little better as I feel the stippling gives the image a slightly grainy look in places at 1080p. There isn't that much between them though to be honest.

Is the file size of this any different in comparison to your other recordings?

Last edited:
They came out pretty good!

I need more hard disk space to record.

Cheers for the feedback lads. I'll look into it more. I need to get to the bottom of why it freezes when rendering into mp4 format. As that's the format YouTube doesn't butcher as much when uploading.

Having real problems with this stuff...

so I got the recording down to a fine art with dxtory and that is great.

I tried downloading Cyberlink power director 10 and sony vegas thing but both of them seem to produce really crap files and I get confused with all the out-put settings with PAL and N-something...

Trying Windows live movie maker now.

All I want is to just cut bits out of the movies I make. So I can record a whole game and then just pick the bits I want out of it.

Not difficult!

Having real problems with this stuff...

so I got the recording down to a fine art with dxtory and that is great.

I tried downloading Cyberlink power director 10 and sony vegas thing but both of them seem to produce really crap files and I get confused with all the out-put settings with PAL and N-something...

Trying Windows live movie maker now.

All I want is to just cut bits out of the movies I make. So I can record a whole game and then just pick the bits I want out of it.

Not difficult!
Please do, I'd rather not watch a gameplay vid of you just getting owned :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom