Recording onto DVD from Sky+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Diving Bear, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Diving Bear

Diving Bear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read most of the stuff on DVD recording that has been referred to on the forum, including the excellent 'Which DVD Recorder?'.

I may be being dim (no change there) but I can't see an answer to my problem.

At present I record programmes onto the harddrive of my Sky+, being a teacher I would like to be able to record educational programmes onto a DVD to take to school and play in the machines there.

What sort of DVD recorder do I need to be able to do this? I assume that I don't want one with HDD as this is already there with the Sky+?

Thanks

2. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any recorder will do what your asking. The thing you have to be aware of is that not all DVD players will play written DVD's although that said, most that have been manufactured in the last couple of years should be fine. Check this link http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers to search for the player you have in your school. This will tell you what media it supports.

You'll also find some reviews on this site that should help when choosing a DVD Recorder so you don't end up with something dire.

Hope this helps.

Glen

3. Diving Bear

Diving Bear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. The school has a range of equipment: some new and quite good and some victorian magic lanterns running off steam.

I think I am going to go for the Sony RDRGX300 DVD Recorder and this seems to be well reviewed and I have found a link on this forum about how to connect the whole thing to Sky+.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Glad the What Recorder? link was useful: it's still under construction so more info is being added over the next few weeks. To answer your question though any DVD recorder that uses compatible discs will suffice. The Sony GX300 will do this - as will many others such as the Pioneer 220 or Toshiba DR3. All are good machines and will do what you want. All record to DVD-RW which will playback on most DVD players and the write-once DVD-R which will playback on virtually all DVD players.

All connect to Sky+ in the same way! i.e. Scart from Sky+ TV Out > Scart input on the DVD recorder. Whichever you get you will get setup help/advice here if you need it ;)