Recording on satellite tv......

Member 114166

Can someone give me the options on how i can set a timer to record tv from a aftermarket digital receiver box, ie.. skybox F3, openbox and those alike?

Currently i pay for the full package with sky for the last 6 years, looking to get rid and was wondering if i can use the original sky box to piggy back off the skybox F3/OPENBOX.. to record?

If not what are my options?

Appreciate your input

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
You can't link them for recording, you could only do that if you got a PVR instead.

The open boxes don't do the 7 day epg, only now and next. You can record to a USB hd but will have to setup manual timers. Much better would be to replace the Sky box with a Freesat reciever such as the Humax Foxsat Hdr that has full 7 day epg and allows series linking and epg based recordings the same as Sky but with no ongoing subs.

logiciel

The usual option is a Freesat PVR: freesat+ HD TV recorder - freesat.
There are very few of those to choose from, but there are plenty of what are usually called generic satellite receivers with either internal or external drives for recording.
The Sky machine isn't involved in any of that.
It may still record the free channels though, and there's always the option of connecting it to a DVD or BR recorder and leaving it on the channel you want to record.

Member 114166

Thanks guys,
Already purchased a F3 box, dont really fancy keeping it on the same channel for recording purposes. A USB external hdd you say may do the trick? would i need to load sme kind of software on it first? or?

logiciel

It records to an external drive in an enclosure or caddy and connected by USB, and should do that simply by pressing the record button or setting a timer from the EPG.

Member 114166

It records to an external drive in an enclosure or caddy and connected by USB, and should do that simply by pressing the record button or setting a timer from the EPG.

Okay, and you need not anything else? plug hdd in, press record on the desired channel and it will record? no fiddling with settings/software?

logiciel

That's what you do with most machines and this one has a Record button - link - so it looks like it's the same.:thumbsup:
You'd probably need to format the drive first by using an option in the machine's menu system.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom