• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recording on a TV with Freesat

rovers77

Standard Member
I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic plasma, the particular model (Panasonic TH46PZ81) has a built in freesat tuner.

What I'm wondering is, is it possible to record a programme on freesat off the tv by using a hdd or dvd recorder?

I was also thinking of getting a Humax Freesat box with the hdd, so is it just better to use the Humax and forget about the built in freesat tuner in the set or is there a handy way of recording from the tv without the Humax?

mikezoe

Established Member
I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic plasma, the particular model (Panasonic TH46PZ81) has a built in freesat tuner.

What I'm wondering is, is it possible to record a programme on freesat off the tv by using a hdd or dvd recorder?

I was also thinking of getting a Humax Freesat box with the hdd, so is it just better to use the Humax and forget about the built in freesat tuner in the set or is there a handy way of recording from the tv without the Humax?
Yes if you have a DVD recorder you can record whatever program is showing on your TV and if you have the right Link you can record via the Freesat epg while out etc (without the TV screen being on). As for the Foxsat HDR it's true that the Panny's Freesat facility would be largely redundant but it would give you the ability to record in high def. I presume the Panny also has Freeview which you could find gives a slightly better picture than Freesat on SD channels and some channels not available on Freesat (301 eg)

Geofbob

Prominent Member

Frankly, I think that if you do get a Humax Foxsat HD PVR, then there is little point in getting a TV with in-built Freesat recorder - unless the extra cost is of very little concern to you. Recording from the TV is probably the worst possible option, requiring you to leave the TV on the programme your're recording - not simply on stand-by (& it won't be in HD). Also, remember that having both the Foxsat PVR and a Freeat TV means that you will need 3 separate LNB feeds.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Frankly, I think that if you do get a Humax Foxsat HD PVR, then there is little point in getting a TV with in-built Freesat recorder - unless the extra cost is of very little concern to you. Recording from the TV is probably the worst possible option, requiring you to leave the TV on the programme your're recording - not simply on stand-by (& it won't be in HD). Also, remember that having both the Foxsat PVR and a Freeat TV means that you will need 3 separate LNB feeds.

Just need to add recording from a freesat TV means that you can only record in SD composite video which is the worst possible quality. A freesat pvr allows you to record and playback High Definition quality

swedish cook

Established Member
Yes if you have a DVD recorder you can record whatever program is showing on your TV and if you have the right Link you can record via the Freesat epg while out etc (without the TV screen being on). As for the Foxsat HDR it's true that the Panny's Freesat facility would be largely redundant but it would give you the ability to record in high def. I presume the Panny also has Freeview which you could find gives a slightly better picture than Freesat on SD channels and some channels not available on Freesat (301 eg)

Don't do it. DVD recorders stink, you have to watch what its recording, get a proper PVR.

Freesat builtin on a large LCD is just a gimmick, since all of the purchasers will have the £ for a PVR. If you like the Panny for its picture and sound then fine, but ignore the freesat label if you have any thought of recording.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom