Recording on a +R disk

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by the_sanguine, Sep 8, 2005.

1. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just got a Yamada 8400 DVD recorder. If I record something but miss the end and get some of the next program, can I delete the excess before finalising or do I have to delete and so it again?

2. Zebadiah Twine

Zebadiah Twine
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The title suggests that you're using a +R and not +RW which means you can't actually delete anything. If there is a lot of space on the disc you might be able to overwrite the table of contents and hide what is on there already and continue using the disc but you can't reclaim the space as the disc is +R and not in any way erasable.

3. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If the 8400 supports chaptering, then you may be able to do this by making the excess recording into a single chapter and hiding it. Philips recorders would allow this kind of editing on a +R, as long as it wasn't finalised.

The drawback is that the chapter marks on +R discs wouldn't be recognised in any other standalone player.

4. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm not too concerned cos the disks are only about 20p each. It's just that I wanted to tidy it up.

I thought I could re-record if I hadn't finalised the disc. Is that not right?

5. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you are definitely using a +R (and not +RW) and the disc isn't finalised, then you can record more stuff if there's space to do so. You cannot record over what's already on the disc.

What about the chapters? Is it possible to put them into the existing recording and hide/unhide them?