1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording on a Panasonic E50

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by connect, Sep 18, 2003.

1. connect

connect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I have just bought one today!! Set it all up fine and am enjoying learning about it.

What I would like to know is, say you were recording a program for ease we'll just say Eastenders.

OK so your recording eastenders and it finishes. It goes over by one minute. The next program you want to record is say coronation street. Can you record straight after Eastenders or do you have to have the one minute extra.

On VHS you just wind back and record over what ever you want.

Hopefully that makes sense. If not I'll try and write this again later!

Thanks in advance.

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I have just got one as well.

You can erase certain parts of the programme (useful to take out adverts and get some space back).

If you are just recording without the timer, you wait until eastenders finished then switch over to ITV. Then press record again. After that has finished you then go back to eastenders and delete anything you want.

You may want to learn the flexible record mode. I manged to get 2 hours 50 minutes of decent digital TV on a disc wihout too much loss in quality. You may want to stick to 3 hours for the limit.

I am still learning.

3. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using my E50 for about a month now and keep finding out ways to use it.

If I'm understanding you correctly, with 2 immediately consecutive programmes, you're stuck with the 1 minute overrun. Go back later and use Partial Erase to take out the overrun. You can't really use it like a VHS tape as it needs just a bit more work to take out unwanted segments.

If there's one thing I've learned it's to stop thinking in "VHS" mode because that just gets confusing. DVD recording is much more versatile and the E50 lends itself very well to this - just start experimenting and you'll get the hang of it.

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No need to press record again. After the prog has finished just press the "Pause" button and then change channel and then release the pause button. The machine automatically creates a new menue and continues recording the new channel.

I just find that way to be a little quicker than stopping the machine then change channels and then pressing record.

Have fun all. You are in recorder heaven.....:D

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    I think my 2mnth old E50 is unique in that it has never had a RAM disc put in it ever. Since I received the HS2 as a suprise pressie at the same time, it has sat upstairs converting my girlfriend's exceptional VCR collection onto -R's- and a very fine job its been doing too!
    This revolution certainly is televised ;)

6. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And don't forget, connect, that there is no guarantee that you will get that one minute of recording space back on a RAM disk, since (according to the manual) the [RAM] disc's available recording time may not increase after erasing short parts of programmes. However, I doubt this was your main concern.