1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording off VCR - advice please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jon99, Nov 10, 2004.

1. jon99

jon99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I received some very good advice yesterday and am now seriously thinking of buying a Pioneer DVR-420H.

Before taking the plunge I wonder if anyone can advise me as to the likely success of recording off VHS tapes through my Panasonic NV-HS830B VCR via SCART cable to the Pioneer.

I would prefer to record onto the hardrive so as to edit before recording again onto a DVD-R disk. If this is not possible then straight from VHS to DVd-R.

Can anyone tell me if this will work and the likely quality? That is, will it be as good as the VHS or will it degrade?

Thanks again - this is a super forum. :smashin:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Yes it will work fine - the quality of your captured VHS recordings should be virtually identical to the original - and it will not degrade over time as VHS does. That said as DVDR media is much more likely to suffer to total, unretrievable fail then you should ensure you burn multiple copies of your projects, preferrably to branded media. And don't throw away the VHS masters!

Only point to note is the Pioneer HDD/DVDR range is the weaker of the 'big three' (Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer) both in features and recording quality - it will still produce stunning results but does not quite match the Panasonic for recording quality or the Toshiba RDXS32 for features. Generally more users on this forum have the Toshiba RDXS32 - the only ones who traded it in for another model who those who had problems with it.

3. jon99

jon99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Raszak :smashin: .

I'll see if the budget can stretch to the Toshiba, but I have already trippled it as I started out to buy a replacement DVD Player for an old Bush 2023! :oops:

The main attraction besides price, of the Pioneer, is its ease of operation. Whilst not a technophobe, she who writes the rules, likes to keep 'em simple. Come to think of it maybe that's why she married me :eek:

Thanks again.

John

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    If you shop around it should be virtually identical in price.

5. jon99

jon99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just thought I'd let you know given all the advice you have given me.

I have just ordered a Toshiba RD-XS32MR, for delivery next Tuesday. :clap:

Now I'm huntung up some decent DVD-R's and a few DVD-RWs.

I have pre-ordered a DVD-RAM with the system.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the benefits of a DVD-RAM to a DVD-RW?

Thanks again for all the help.

John

6. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +459
    Just bear in mind you wont be able to "copy" commercial VHS tapes to your HDD or DVD because of the copy protection systems built into the recorder

7. jon99

jon99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John. Yes I was aware of copy protection problems but in this case it doesn't apply. What it will do is free up a book case by releasing the tapes that currently fill it.

Anyone in the market for old VHS tapes? :laugh:

Regards

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    With regard to your machine you will use DVD-RAM to transfer recordings to the PC, for important backups or as a HDD extension, i.e. when you want to get everything off your HDD to format, when you are collecting episodes from a TV series prior to a burn to a single DVD-R .

DVD-RW is normally used to play recordings from your Toshiba in (for example) an upstairs DVD player.

For archiving and lending disks to your friends you will probably end up using write-once DVD-R as this is the most compatible format.

9. jon99

jon99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great advice as always Rasczak. Thank you once again for your guidance.
    Now I only have to wait until Tuesday, and of course tell her who supplies the readies.

Regards

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Happy to help - let us know what you think of your new machine when you get it!