Recording off freesat

Youngest78

Standard Member
Hi,
I bought a bog-standard Bush freesat model at the weekend from Argos, it only cost £30 and so there is no record function on it. Is it possible for me to record off it somehow? I have a video/DVD recorder, and I have a normal Humax PVR lying dormant

son_t

Stick your recorder on the SCART output of the Bush, select the right input on the recorder, press record! (Forget the PVR, it can only record from its internal tuners.)

Youngest78

Standard Member
Hey,
Thanks for replying - and sorry in advance for seeming thick (but I am):
When you refer to the 'recorder', do you mean my DVD player?
So I connect the SCART from that to the DVD player (but if i do that then the SCART won't be hooked up to the television from the BUSH box?

Geofbob

Hey,
Thanks for replying - and sorry in advance for seeming thick (but I am):
When you refer to the 'recorder', do you mean my DVD player?
So I connect the SCART from that to the DVD player (but if i do that then the SCART won't be hooked up to the television from the BUSH box?

Also, my DVD player is a combo of video and DVD, where is the 'record' button? Do you mean on the BUSH box?

In your original post you said you had a DVD recorder - clearly, it won't record if it's only a player.

But assuming it is a recorder, connect by Scart from the TV socket of the Bush box to the AV2 Scart of the recorder; & from the AV1 (or TV) Scart of the recorder to an input Scart of the TV. That is, connect them in series, or daisy chain.

You should then find that you can access the menus & remote controls of both the Bush box & the recorder, & can set the recorder to record a channel of the Bush box. If you want to set a "future" recording, you'll have to set individual timers on the box & reorder.

Geofbob

Not on the Bush, but on the combo DVD player. It is probably on the remote control for the combo... (Don't forget to stick in a VHS tape first :rotfl:)

Ah - recording to VHS, not DVD - so you're assuming the combo is VHS player/recorder + DVD player only. But there are combo VHS/DVD player/recorders aren't there?

Andris L

I think we have to take a step back here and clarify whether there is any recording facilities on that DVD/VCR combo at all???

Broadz

Distinguished Member
I think we have to take a step back here and clarify whether there is any recording facilities on that DVD/VCR combo at all???

The bit in bold above would suggest that there are. When did you last see a VCR which couldn't record?

Youngest78

Standard Member
It's a bog standard VCR Recorder with DVD Player (Daewoo). I apologise for the initial lack of clarity and poor choice of words.
When i asked about where the record button would be I simply meant to distinguish between which unit, but this is not to say that I'm not aware and appreciative of the fact that some of these questions may suggest a village idiot is in town.

What I'm not clear about is if i plug the SCART from the Bush unit to the Daewoo unit then I would surely lose my picture on the TV as the SCART would no longer be connected between the Bush unit and TV.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
The vcr will pass the signal from the freesat box onto the TV when you select the scart on on the vcr that the freeview box is connected to as the recording source.

Andris L

OK, i would like to believe that your Deawoo unit has two SCART sockets on it. One should be named TV and 2nd one should be named something like Ext or VCR so what you do is use one SCART lead to connect your Deawoo to your TV set. Use one end of SCART lead to plug into back of TV and then plug another end of your SCART end into SCART connector at the back of your Deawoo that is named TV.

Then use another SCART lead and connect your Bush Freesat to the Deawo by plugging one end of SCART lead into Bush and another end into your Deawoo's SCART connector named Ext/VCR.

That way your Freesat will be looped through your Deawoo and whenever your Freesat is on it will get you the picture through SCART lead that goes from Deawoo to the TV.

If you want to record you have to have both units on (Deawoo & Bush) and on your VCR recorder you have to select correct input for it to be able to see picture from Freesat. Depending on what you have on your Deawoo you might have a dedicated button to select AV input if not then use channel up/down buttons to cycle through and you would be looking to find input that would normally be named something like AV1, AV2 or AV3. Once you found correct AV input you can record but only whatever program is on your Freesat i.e. if you are recording BBC1 and then decide to switch your Freesat over to BBC2 it will record that.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
As well as the mix-up over player/recorder, we now have Freesat, Freeview and even Freesta in the various replies !

No wonder the initial problem is taking so long to sort.

Am I the only one getting confused here? :confused:

Could the OP please clarify?

Andris L

As well as the mix-up over player/recorder, we now have Freesat, Freeview and even Freesta in the various replies !

No wonder the initial problem is taking so long to sort.

Am I the only one getting confused here? :confused:

Could the OP please clarify?

OP stated in the original post that it's Bush Freesat, however i think it's really irrelevant whether it's Freesat or Freeview as problem was within connecting everything up not Freesat or Freeview as such.

I also would like to believe that OP has all relevant information so most likely there is nothing to clarify ;).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom