Recording of Freeview output

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Richard Moore, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

Some friends have a freeview box , a Panasonic HD Recorder and a recently fitted "digital" aerial.

The FV box has a scart/rgb output. Can anyone think of any reason why they should not be able to record the FV output via the scart connection on the AV channel of the HDR ? A friend of theirs has convinced them that this is not possible as they have a "digital" aerial. AT the moment they only get sound and no picture which sounds to me like a scart problem.

My view on it is that even if they're receiving no analog signals the FVB output will be an analog signal of whatever channel the FVB is currently set to and as such can be routed and recorded by anything that has an analog AV input.

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    sounds like a one way scart or its not inserted fully try turning it around,

3. sidefall

sidefall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I do this all the time. I have a Freeview box with RGB output connected to the RGB input of my DVD recorder with a scart lead. Works perfectly and gives excellent picture quality.

Two things to note:

(a) the freeview box and the DVD recorder must be set-up correctly - I think I had to set up both for RGB in the menus (you could do it with a composite signal but the quality isn't as good).

(b) the scart lead must be the right sort. Now, a scart plug uses different pins for the RGB signal and the composite signal. Some scart leads (often called 9 pin) do not have the RGB pins wired up.

A problem with either of the above could give audio but no video.

The idea that this isn't possible because of the "digital" aerial is just nonsense.