Recording noise on HUMAX Fox T2 1TB PVR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by bergerland, Jan 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bergerland

bergerland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because of all the excellent reviews, I've just bought a Humax Fox T2 1Tb PVR. I've noticed there's a very quiet, irregular "chuntering" noise going on in the background when it's recording. Most of the time it makes no difference at all, is imperceptible, and I can live with it, but there are occasions (eg during a quiet interlude when watching a concert, or perhaps during a suspense film) when it is damned annoying!

No review of the machine has ever mentioned this as a "con", and I don't believe for a second that my hearing is the finest in the land. Is it something I have to learn to accept, or would I be better advised to send it back to online retailer as a faulty machine.

Any comments from owners of similar machines would be welcomed.

Cheers:hiya:

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    Have you got the unit on a glass shelf or similar ?. If so try some soft rubber feet to decouple the unit from the shelf. No mechanical HDD is 100% silent.

3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Hi

All PVRs make some noise if using a mechanical hard disk, and depending on the person or the environment it may or may not go unnoticed.

I would say our TV buzzes louder than the hard-drive in the Humax, which is very quiet, yes if you focus on it in an otherwise quiet room you can hear the heads of the hard-drive moving as well as a slight hum of the drive if you get close, but it's normal.

Also as the drive fills up it may become quieter due to the placement of data on the disc and the heads not seeking as far.

The heads move extremely fast, and are moved by what is essentially a loud speaker coil, the fact they are as quiet as they are is pretty amazing. I've know hard-disks be very much louder in the past.

This YouTube video will give you some idea what is going inside the hard-drive and why you hear a "chatter".

Regards

Phil

Inside of Hard Drive - YouTube

4. iaint

iaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi.
    If you decide to try working around the issue by putting the unit in a cabinet, be careful to ensure adequate ventilation. These PVRs can easily cook the harddrive, which is bad.
    --
    Regards, Iain.