1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording music to PC from tape/record

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Jaime, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Jaime

Jaime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

how do I record music from either audio tape or record on to PC so that I can transfer to CD?

I have a soundblaster 5.1 live drive card with lost of onputs: SPDIF in/out/Optical in/out/midi in/out/line in and L & R aux in.

I would be grateful for any help re: cables and general!

Thanks

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1. You will need a cable that has two RCA phono jacks at one end and a mini stereo jack at the other (2.5mm) to connect your hifi tape-out to your PC line-in.

2. You will need some sound recording software in your PC. The Windows Sound Recorder is not up to it for various reasons, one of which is that it only records for 1 minute without a lot of messing around. Real Player is OK and it's free. It will also burn CDs for you. Also see below.

3. You may want to edit the sound in various ways - split it into CD tracks, remove tape hiss or remove clicks and pops fron vinyl (45s or 33s). Easily the best product for all this is Goldwave - it's brilliant but does have a 'learning curve' It will also record for you. http://www.goldwave.com/
    You can download it and use it free, but it will nag you all the time if you don't buy the license - 55 Canadian dollars and worth every cent.
    There are some freeware progs but I've not found a satisfactory one.

4. You will need CD burning software like Nero. This wil make almost any sort of CD or DVD you could wish for. It is often supplied pre-installed on PCs. I have no experience of other products.