Recording Music From Sky Digital?...

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Cinders, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Cinders

Cinders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to record music from the Sky Digital music channels.

I know that a mini-disc recorded could be connected to the 2 phono-outputs of my decoder to record music, but...

Can anyone advise if they have done this and what the quality would be like? ie. would it be CD quality?

I would try this but I haven't got a mini-disc recorder and dont' really want to spend a lot on one to find the quality is crap.

Thanks in Advance,
    Matt.

2. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done this, it's good quality but it is not the best because it has been through a few conversion phases.

However, I have recorded the digital output from a Sky+ box (via my amplifier, A Denon AVC-A1D) to a minidisk and the quality is pretty damned good. I have not recorded "music" as such but a dance episode of the Drew Carey show. I'm not certain how much bit rate and word length conversion went on though but it is impressive.

Of course Minidisk isn't quite CD quality anyway. It sits somewhere between MP3 and CD PCM.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with the quality is not so much a mini disc or connection problem but the quality of the original broadcast. I have recorded a few times from Sky Digital to Mini Disc from channels like Kiss, The Box etc. If you switch from one to another there is quite often a big change in sound level as well as quality. This means you end up having to adjust the recording level if you change channels.
    My advice is to find the channel that you think sounds the best and stick with that. I find that Kiss seems to be good quality and a good volume as well. Others are too quiet or just very poor quality. However, even the best recording I've made is not as good as the original CD. But it is good enough for listening in a car (like me) or on a walkman.
    If you re