Recording more than a week in advance - have I missed something?

kmitty

Standard Member
Reaction score
I upgraded from standard sky digital to HD so never had just sky+. Just about to go on holiday for 2.5 weeks and just twigged the planner only shows programs for a week in advance. How then do people set up their recordings beyond a week when going on holiday? Even the manual record option only supports recording up to a week in advance. Old technology video recorders didn't have this problem - please tell me I've missed something obvious and that we haven't taken a backward step!

SKY+ just like SKY D works off a 7 day EPG so you can not plan beyond 7 days. However you can manually enter a start/stop time and have that repeat itself on a daily/weekday or weekly basis which is better than nothing.

So I'd have to set up a recording for the desired period and set it to record twice so I get (say) and hour of unwanted material in order to get the hour I want in the 2nd week.

WOW, I'm amazed this has never been improved - its rubbish. Surely a significant proportion of people go on 2+ week holidays and want to do this.

Yes, the limitations of a 7 day EPG which are very hard to work around and a foolish implementation of a manual recording feature which I can not see any reason why it could not match a standard VCR in terms of timescale.

kmitty said:
So I'd have to set up a recording for the desired period and set it to record twice so I get (say) and hour of unwanted material in order to get the hour I want in the 2nd week.

WOW, I'm amazed this has never been improved - its rubbish. Surely a significant proportion of people go on 2+ week holidays and want to do this.

Which program do you want to record? Does it have a series link?

danvitale said:
Which program do you want to record? Does it have a series link?

If it has a series link it should automatically set it into your planner for weejs 2, 3 etc. You only need to set the first programme before you go. Most channels do use this facility and more often than not it even works!

You will have to tell the box that you want to series link the programme if it has the series link facility.
The box will not automatically series link it for you.

You can use the new Sky mobile feature to set it by text message.

Though I agree, the one week limit is poor.

Bear in mind, Sky mobile will not work with all phones - mine is a fairly new Sharp GX25 and it would not work as it needed G3 or somesuch - so the service is useless to me.:(

Cheers:hiya:

dunsters said:
Bear in mind, Sky mobile will not work with all phones - mine is a fairly new Sharp GX25 and it would not work as it needed G3 or somesuch - so the service is useless to me.:(

Cheers:hiya:
It needs GPRS as a minimum.

You can still use the SMS equivalent.

But since you can't actually sign up to Remote Record via the Interactive button at the moment, not really an answer.

I'm hoping that remote-record using the Sky website will be activated soon.

I will be going on holiday to Florida's east-coast at the end of August/beginning of September; staying with relations. Space-Shuttle Atlantis may launch while we are there (STS 115).

If it does launch during our stay, we will drive up to Kennedy Space Centre to watch it. Id love to be able to send a signal to my Sky HD box to record Fox News (and Sky News) to have a recording.

Nice. Kennedy is awesome without a launch. Good luck!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom