Recording Media - Good and Bad

I have a Panasonic E55 DVD-Recorder and I use generic discs (200 for $60 CDN), and, in the past three months, I've had problems with two...three at the most (but I attribute that to the player, not the discs). Other than that, they work perfectly.

I buy them at factorydirect.ca (which is a computer hardware store).

Philips recommend you finalise +r asap - very fragile in write state

Baj said:
Avoid Datawrite Yellow (V2) 4x (DVD-R). The original dye was G04 and they were vey good discs. But I recently purchased a batch and some of them were G05 dye and 8x (although the packaging and discs were indistinguisable from previous purchases); they were completely useless; they appeared to be 8x rejects.

Out of 175 discs, I threw away 100!

Can I ask where did you get these from ? Like you I've very good results with Datawrite Yellow 4x and I've just ordered some more! I had heard of problems with the 8x versions and so I was happy to stick with the 4x even though they are actually more expensive. Blank Disc Shop says the following about the 4x :-

... newer version of the Datawrite Yellow DVD-R disc from Datawrite... a very compatible Ritek A Grade disc using the excellent G04/M02 dye.

I've yet to have a bad purchase from Blank Disc Shop who seem to know what media is all about.

Thanks for any more information you can give !

i bought the datasafe from a computer fair and theinfiniti from a small pc shop in newcastle upon tyne. thanks for your help perhaps i should try some others . any more to recommend?
:confused:
montsett

why would the recorder read the +r discs for a while and then reject them? i've tried most from one spindle and another make.
:cool:
montsett

redsox_mark said:
Yes, my XS32 likes the TY02 Verbatims. I've only burned 10 or so (maybe 15), but all have been fine.
And my kids like the nice colours....

Mark

My XS32 can wirte to the Datawrite 4x DVD-R (red) as well but strangely can't read it after the disc is burned. I have to use other stand alone DVD player (Ronin and Humax) to play it.

I got these discs from bigpockets.co.uk at £16 for 100. It is a good bargin but I have a few failure on my PC DVD burner (5%).

guylj wrote:

Can I ask where did you get these from ? Like you I've very good results with Datawrite Yellow 4x and I've just ordered some more! I had heard of problems with the 8x versions and so I was happy to stick with the 4x even though they are actually more expensive. Blank Disc Shop says the following about the 4x :-

... newer version of the Datawrite Yellow DVD-R disc from Datawrite... a very compatible Ritek A Grade disc using the excellent G04/M02 dye.

I've yet to have a bad purchase from Blank Disc Shop who seem to know what media is all about.

Thanks for any more information you can give !

I had used the Datawrite Yellow 4x with G04 dye with not a single failure in the past using my E85.
The last batch I purchased, in spindles of 25 were a mix of spindles of G04 and G05 dye. None of the random samples of G05 dye I tried worked. I binned all the G05s.
I have now switched to Sony 4x. Excellent--best I have ever used.

I purchased the Datawrite yellows from "clickonit". I emailed them, but it was obvious from their reply that they were not prepared to be helpful so I didn't bother to pursue the matter.

Baj

May I join in?

I have a Sony RDR HX-900 and I bought a pack of 5 Sony 1X-4X compatible DVD+RW discs followed by 1 pack of 10 PC Line 1X-2X DVD-RW discs. As can be expected, the Sony discs work perfectly. As for the PC Line ones, they were just as good. Cheap is not always nasty.

Baj said:
guylj wrote:

I had used the Datawrite Yellow 4x with G04 dye with not a single failure in the past using my E85.
The last batch I purchased, in spindles of 25 were a mix of spindles of G04 and G05 dye. None of the random samples of G05 dye I tried worked. I binned all the G05s.
I have now switched to Sony 4x. Excellent--best I have ever used.

I purchased the Datawrite yellows from "clickonit". I emailed them, but it was obvious from their reply that they were not prepared to be helpful so I didn't bother to pursue the matter.

Baj
Thanks for coming back Baj. I'll repost when I receive the 4x Yellow Datawrites and try them out. I discovered that <none> of my DVD drives (Panasonic LF-D521, LM-D621, and Toshiba SD-W2002) seem to support returning the Manufacturer information to eg ADVDINFO or Nero Info Tool. So I'm going to be working in the dark. A friend of mine who had bad problems with the 8x Yellow Datawrites found that actually they are OK if he burns them at 2x. Saved him having to throw them out - instead he just uses one if he has other things to do while it is being burned.

Best Media for me,
With my Pioneer 520 I have now burnt over 100 discs,usingTDK DVD-R 8x exclusively
Result -perfect results every time.The same with TDK DVD-RW 2x.
They are not cheap,but I never use anything else.What is the point in buying cheap stuff,and then experiencing failures.It's a waste of time,and it may involve something that you cannot record again,ever.
best of luck,Dakara

I burn discs using NEC1300, NEC3500 and Liteon 5005 Standalone.

My judging criteria is whether a burnt disc will play back on my old pioneer DV515 player as it is so fussy.

I have found that by using the media recommended by the disc writer manufacturer, keeping up to date with firmwares and using suppliers that will give you the info you really need (media/dye lead in codes) and give good service you will not go far wrong.

I've used SVP (sponsor link on this page) a lot and keep going back there.

I could not recommend another sponsor whose name begins with U and ends in R. Just plain useless.

Novatech.co.uk I've also been happy with.

Just got through my 100th Datawrite Yellow 4x all fine my next 100 are the 8x ones all ordered from SVP will report back if I have any problems. I'm using and e55 and ocassionally a PC.

I said I would repost when I received my Datawrite Yellow 4x DVD-Rs from SVP (Blank Disc Shop). The new batch seem visually identical to the last ones I purchased back in August 2004 - Yellow Label V2 with a dark purple dye. None of my drives will return manufacturer id so I don't know actually what dye is being used.

I burned a 4 GB video at 4x to one of the new discs using a Panasonic LF-M621 multiwriter on my PC. Burned and verified without incident. Then I played it right through on a Panasonic DMR-E50 into a Panny TX-32 PF 10. The original material was recorded onto a DVD-RAM on the E50 in SP mode from a Freeview source, then edited and authored on PC. I'm a pretty critical viewer and I would say it was as perfect as you will get with a 2 hour recording in 4 GB - absolutely no trace of skips or glitches.

Now a sample of one is not of course much to go on but it's an encouraging sign. I'll post again if I have any problems with subsequent discs.

Following up on my previous post, I have had fair results with the "new" Datawrite Yellow 4x DVD-R. No complete failures, however on a few attempted burns at 4x on a Panasonic LF-M621 burner I have had a power calibration failure at the start. In each case I have still been able to burn the disc OK at 2x either on the LF-M621 or on a LF-D521 burner.

This never occurred with my first batch a year or so back so I have to conclude that Datawrite Yellow 4x DVD-R quality has slipped back a notch and I think that now the Taiyo Yudens have come down in price I will try them for my next purchase.

I've run a couple of Nero surface scan tests on the Datawrites and they were 100.0% so no sign of premature media aging yet at least.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom