Recording Manually Tuned channels

JHWright

Standard Member
Is it possible to record a channel that I currently view manually (i.e. it doesn't appear on Sky's EPG) by using the manual Timer record facility on the Sky + box??

Is this a stupid question??

Starburst

Novice Member
No it's not a stupid question but alas there is not.
SKY have no interest in giving channels an easy way to gain an audience if they refuse to pay to be on the EPG, it's quite amazing the manually tuning option exists and I assume it's mandated by the DVB spec.
There is nothing stopping you using an offboard recorder connected via scart or rf.

JHWright

Standard Member
Thanks - (as I'd expected)

So, if I got hold of a basic PVR, I could use the manual timer record function from the PVR to record from the manually tuned channel on my Sky+ box (by using a Scart from my Sky box output to the PVR input and then from the PVR output to the TV?

If this is correct, would I be able to watch/record normal Sky whilst recording to my PVR??

Starburst

Novice Member
So, if I got hold of a basic PVR, I could use the manual timer record function from the PVR to record from the manually tuned channel on my Sky+ box (by using a Scart from my Sky box output to the PVR input and then from the PVR output to the TV?

If this is correct, would I be able to watch/record normal Sky whilst recording to my PVR??

PVR as in an integrated tuner hard drive recorder then no since they don't accept external inputs, you'll have to resort to "old" fashioned tech like a DVDr or VHS:)

SKY hardware can only display and output one video/audio stream at a time so you will always have to leave the box on the programme in question, you can continue to record other stuff onto the hardware in the background though.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom