1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording LOST in 16:9 from Freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by english_bob, Oct 12, 2005.

1. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Equipment : DVD Recorder is a Sony RDR-GX510
    Freeview box is a Sagem ITD64 with 2 scarts

:suicide: I'm going out of my mind with this problem! It seems to happen on C4 and ITV all the time, but it annoys me when I try to record LOST every Wednesday on C4.

Now, if all the equipment is turned and I'm actually watching C4 at the time I press REC, its fine, comes out 16:9 no problem on the recording.

However, what I normally do is set the timer on the Sagem Freeview box and the Sony recorder to switch on and record. When I play back the recording the bloody thing is gone into some weird stretched mode, noticeable in the title sequences when half of the casts names are not displayed. I guess it might be a 4:3 mode?. What I don't get is why the timer is any different?

Anyway, I'm really cheesed off with the fact that, if I manually record its fine, but timing recording buggers it all up. I also record Nighty Night from BBC3, and that works fine on the timer setting, so it must be just C4?

I'm confused if this is a DVD recorder problem or the Freeview problem.

BTW, I don't have a clue about widescreen switching, as the Freeview box is plugged into the DVD recorder via SCART (full pins, good quality), and then the DVD Recorder pumps out via component to a plasma, with does'nt do widescreen switching!

Any help / sympathy, please join below!

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Sagem Freeview box = garbage. When it comes on via timer it outputs a different signal then when manually turned on. Why? Cr@p software design of course. I had one for 24 hours, found this out and returned it for a refund. My ancient ex-OnDigital box works perfectly as a slave to my DVD-HDD machine. So....try another box.

3. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    wow, really, so its the Sagem box? Sod it, I've bought 2 of these (the other for the bedroom).

Should of gone with the (overpriced) Sony one that I wanted! :(

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +492
    This throws some light on a problem I recently experienced. I connected a ITD58 (I think it was - from Argos) to a 4:3 Sony set for an elderly friend. The units connected by SCART lead, Sony set bog-standard 4:3 only. My friend prefers to view that way. Went to the menu and switched to 4:3 where there are two options 'pan and scan' and 'letterbox'. When you switched to BBC or ITV result was fine. Go to C4 or similar channels and you run into the above problem. As you switch from a widescreen programme to a 4:3 the whole thing gets confused and locks in the last mode. Very unsatisfactory. Tried all sorts of combinations switching back and forth without solving the problem. As a last resort I went back to the menu and set it to 16:9 to see what it would do. Obviously pan and scan and letterbox not available. The result was surprising. 4:3 programmes shown as such,widescreen programmes displayed OK in letter box mode!

I'm not so sure that it is entirely down to Sagem. I use a old Panasonic Freeview box on a bedroom 4:3 tv. Again it works OK on main channels, but goes into upwards stretch mode on C4. It's not just anamorphic as there is a border around the whole picture. I posted this problem many moons ago and the opinion was that it was a combination of the broadcaster and certain chips in Freeview boxes. I've not tried the Sagem on a 16:9 set. I had assumed it would work OK. I can't comment on the timing mode as this Sagem doesn't have the facility.

I think I read somewhere that a pin needs to be disconnected in the scart lead to stop a voltage pulse changing the receiver mode. Can't see how this should affect a 4:3 set.

5. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Yes, I get the same issue with the Sagem in our bedroom, using a standard 4:3 set.

In the options its set as 4:3 pan/scan, and BBC etc run okay, but ITV and C4 are then displayed in 16:9! Sometimes when you flick back to BBC1 (For example), it will still be 16:9, but if you press the Info button it will flick back to 4:3.

Bloody annoying, not what you pay for is it!

6. Croker

Croker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I've got a Sony Freeview box, if you're interested! It's in mint condition, but I've got a Freeview tuner built in to my TV now, so I no longer need it, sadly.

PM me if you're interested and want more details.

On topic, my folks have got a Sagem Freeview box in their living room. As stated above, they're garbage (the Sagem boxes, not my folks).

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Croker - if you are conducting a sale, please do so in the classifieds. Thanks.

8. Croker

Croker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Apologies - I only realised afterwards that my post was a sale in all but name!

In my defence, I only wanted to see if english_bob was interested, but I should have known better. Tsk. I'll slap my own wrists as a reminder :D

9. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Your right you know! Tested it and it does output in 4:3, regardless of the normal 16:9. What a load of crap!

I'm calling Sagem on Monday (09057 748081) to kick some!

10. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    09057...... sounds like an expensive call.

11. Gemz1982

Gemz1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had some trouble when connecting a cheapy thompson freeview box to the tv downstairs for my friends mum. I connected the box to the tv via scart and the main ariel to the back of the freeview box. The thing is she had to take out/disconnec the freeview box because when they tried to record off the tv it didnt work. I thought that it might be because the video recorder wasnt connected to the freeview box.

Any ideas?? I dont have a clue about these things.

Also a quick question, i have seen those usb tuners/ tuners that look like a flash drive, you can get that goes into the back of the tv, how do these work without the main ariel being attached to it in some way, is it done through radio waves, or whatever, ha ha ha, you can tell im not up on all this, what are the benifits of them.

Thanks

12. dogtanian38

dogtanian38
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sell the dvd-recorder, or one of the Sagem's and get a freeview tuner and dvd-rw for your PC. You are losing so much quality converting the digital mpeg2 signal to analogue, running it over a lossy cable subject to interference, and then re-coding the signal back to digital mpeg2 again. Plus at present you have to set the timer on the freeview, and the dvd recorder.