1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording Live TV on to a PC Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by jamct, Apr 10, 2005.

1. jamct

jamct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have a KiSS Coolview 17" monitor with Integral TV tuner connected to an eMachines Model 2240 Desktop PC (Celeron 330 D, 256K L2 cache, 533Mhz FSB, 2.66GHz, 40GB HD, DVD+/-RW, 256Mb DDR, 8 in 1 Media reader, running Windows XP SP2.) CAN I RECORD LIVE TV ON TO MY HARDDRIVE AND IF SO, WHAT ADDITIONAL HARDWARE/SOFTWARE DO I NEED? I note that the latest high spec PCs have the TV card built in!. Any guidance would be appreciated :thumbsup:

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    You have a variety of options available to achieve this.
    Some of the things you need to think about are....
    Do you want to record, sky, freeview or analogue terrestial?
    Do you want to watch one channel whilst recording another?
    Do you want to operate the software by remote control?
    What connections do you currently have for getting video in/out of your monitor and pc?
    How much do you want to spend?

One solution would be to buy and fit a cheap PCI tv card which comes bundled with some software like this one

A more refined solution would be Windows Media Center with twin tuner cards which can operate all your tv, video, dvd, music, pictures via a user friendly interface and remote control.

lisa

3. jamct

jamct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for quick response. :) I would only record analogue terrestrial TV in emergency if other AV equipment was in use so I do not want to spend too much. I would not need remote control software if keystroke/mouse control is straight forward for both instant record or timer recording.

Connex between PC & TV monitor is standard 15pin VGA cable + 3.5mm audio jack. The TV does not have a Scart socket, just an S-video-In and Composite video-In jacks + twin phono-out to hi-fi amp.
    I look forward to your response.

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Hi,
    It doesn't sound like you can get the signal out of your integrated monitor/tuner into your pc, so you will have to buy a PCI or USB tv tuner card, and just run another aerial feed to it. Pinnacle and Hauppauge have good reputations and if you get the retial version of their cards it will come bundled with software to record to your pc.

Have fun!
    lisa

5. jamct

jamct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    :thumbsup: Thank you Lisa.

Regards John.

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Just a word of warning John, the quality of TV captured with TV card like those from Hauppage etc is not amazing. If its for the odd one off show on a small screen then I wouldn't worry about it but I don't consider it a viable option for regular use on my 36" TV via component inputs.

Problem two is that these TV card will give you massive files when recording 10 or 20 gig an hour.

A way to solve both of these problems is to invest in a PCI freeview card for your computer like the nebula electronics one. These cost about £100 and give exceptional picture quality and record at a much more reasonable 2gig per hour.

Just a thought,
    Owain

7. jamct

jamct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Owain
    Regards
    John