1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording Level of Burned CD's

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dealmaker, Aug 7, 2003.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

fairly new to this burning CD lark.

When I copy Cd's to use in the car (using my Windows XP / Media Player Software) - the volume level of the burned CD's is much lower than that of the original - especially when I make a compilation.

Is this a common occurence or is there aome way of boosting the signal/ increasing the recording level?

All advice gratefully welcomed.

Many thanks

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    It is likely, then, that you are extracting the signal off the original CD using the drive's analog output. You should extract digitally. This will result in a near-exact copy. I can't tell you exactly how to make this selection on your system, however. It may be that your 'read' drive isn't DAE enabled. It is, however, very likely that your 'write' drive is, so you may find doing a 2-stage copy using the 'write' drive for both extraction and burning will produce a true copy.

3. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nigel,

Many thanks - it's amazing how obvious it all is when you think about it.

I used the PC's original CD drive to extract the info from the albums and put them on my hard drive. I thn used my new CD burner to do the actual writing.

If I understand you correctly - I should use the CD writer to extract the data as well as writing it?

Many thanks

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    What I'm saying is that I guess your original CD drive is extracting the audio as analog and then resampling it via your soundcard - which may affect its volume (depending on how you have your software mixer set) and will degrade the sound. You need to pull the data of the original CD directly - this is known as DAE (Digital Audio Extraction). And I'm guessing (only guessing) that your Writer drive will be set up for this, whereas your Reader drive may not be.

5. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're doing your own compilations from different sources then you'll probably get different levels as well. When I do MP3s to CD-Audio in Nero I run it through a "normalise" filter first which should balance them out