Recording is black when recording from mini-DV cassette with MAGIX Movie software

Iskren

Novice Member
Hello,
I've got this old camera or camcorder might be a bit more accurate (I'm not into cameras too much so sorry), it's the JVC GR-D270 and I want to get the videos from it onto my PC. I searched around and found this tutorial Two Ways To Transfer Mini DV Tapes To Computer. - VHS CONVERTERS. There I found that I need a Firewire card. Fair enough, I got one and installed it. Then I installed the MAGIX software because the guy in the tutorial is using it. I've connected the camera to the Firewire card with a mini-DV cable and I'm following the steps in the tutorial. I choose a name, I choose location, etc. But when I press record.. it's black. And no data seems to be written at all as the file size is at 0. So then I stop recording and here's another thing, the file ends with .avi.H0 and has a size of 0 bytes. The camera is indeed in playback mode and you can even see on its little screen that the video is played. I can use the playback controls in the MAGIX software just the way I'm supposed to and also if the camera mode is changed to the one which is used to shoot, you can see the camera output in the MAGIX software's preview. I have updated the driver for the Firewire card and I don't see a reason for this to not work. Have you guys got a clue how to fix this? I've got a lot of videos on these old cassettes and it would be great if I can get them out of there before it's too late.

Emerton

Are you using the Magix transport controls when you capture the tape? The stream will stop recording if there are any spaces in the recorded tape.

Last edited:

Iskren

Novice Member
1. yes that works
2. I found a solution, actually. Turns out that all I had to do was disconnect the mini-DV cable from both devices, plug it into my PC and after that plug it into the camera. I'm quite mad that I spent hours looking for a solution just to find out I need to plug it into the PC first and then the camera. Why does no tutorial say this??? But anyway, it's solved and thanks for replying.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I really don't think the order you plug in the cable matters, but more what order things are switched on.

Firewire is known to be temperamental so you might well find similar problems in the future.

Emerton

Glad you sorted it out. As noiseboy72 says, I would certainly connect a firewire cable before switching the camera on. I've heard many horror stories of firewire ports being ruined (apparently by static) after being hot-swapped.

DocJackal

Glad you sorted it out. As noiseboy72 says, I would certainly connect a firewire cable before switching the camera on. I've heard many horror stories of firewire ports being ruined (apparently by static) after being hot-swapped.

Canon cameras were awful for that. I've seen many XL1s's and XL2's with melted firewire ports. Always camera first, then computer.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom