Recording IP Webcams for home security

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Rob92, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Rob92

Rob92
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a couple of cheap IP webcams and have set them up to monitor a couple of rooms in the house while away. I only did it initially as they were cheap (£30 or so) and I like the idea of keeping an eye on the house while away.

Anyway - it's not really that useful unless set up as a proper security system to record movement. I'd quite like to set it up better, possibly with another camera or two (possibly better HD ones) but was wondering how others have set something like this up?

What I'd thought, after a bit of checking, was to use something like iSpy to monitor the webcams (as it can do motion detection far better than the webcams can) and get it to write the recorded video to my DropBox directory - that way if I got burgled and lost my PC then I'd still have the video, which I could access even while still away.

I appreciate that a 'proper' security system would be better off without cheap, wi-fi cameras. But it's not really essential and this way it'd be cheap and easy to set up!

So - has anyone else set up any home security with wifi webcams? How do you record the output? Do you have software running on your PC all the time, or on a spare/old PC? Or can you get a dedicated recorder for these things?

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    NAS drive with CCTV software e.g. QNAP or Synology

3. Rob92

Rob92
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! They're not cheap, but I don't have a NAS and so it'd be useful for more than just the CCTV. I'll look into it!

4. Jolltax

Jolltax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The synology software is great and has motion detection works really well. Only thing you need to watch is that it's only free for the first camera I think you have to buy a license for more than one.

J