Recording integrated freeview

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by smorgan99, Apr 23, 2007.

1. smorgan99

smorgan99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok, so here's the problem...
    Just bought a new Toshiba LCD TV with integrated Freeview. I have a Philips DVD recorder with H/Drive. I can record freeview and watch analogue etc.
    With my old TV and stand alone cheap Freeview box I was able to record freeview and switch TV off.
    Now, when I am recording freeview from the new TV, if I turn TV off the recorder records...blank!
    Obviously, when I turn TV off it's switching off the tuner. Not good if I want to record something when I'm out.
    Any ideas how to get round this? Is there a way?!?

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    The only way is to buy another Freeview box and record from that instead.
    Recording Freeview from an IDTV is not a good idea as you have discovered.

3. smorgan99

smorgan99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for the reply.
    The only reservation I had with that was I had a bad experience with our old freeview box. Digifusion I think it was - kept turning itself off randomly, every morning we would have to unplug it as it would crash overnight...
    So, obviously I dont wanna be spending much as Ive just spent out on a new TV. Would you recomend a GOOD but CHEAP box?!?

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    To be honest they are all "much of a muchness", although I have seen a Wharfedale brand box highly recommended on the forum a few times...available online or from Argos or Comet I think

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,094
    I had similarly thought these boxes were much of a muchness, but a recent Which report found there was quite a difference in behaviour, features and performance when one spent a little more... and some of the cheaper ones were SO bad they specifically recommended NOT buying [ Digihome DV940B (£25)]

The two boxes they recommended were Philips DTR2520 (£60) and the Humax MG-TU1 - (£65) [ Both have Scart link feature ]

smorgan.... it is worth checking your TV manual to see if your TV does not have special settings to permit recording when the TV is off.

Some integrated sets have settings which can leave the tuner powered when the TV is OFF to permit external recording.