1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording in NTSC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stujones, Aug 25, 2005.

1. stujones

stujones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have a DVD recorder (Philips DVDR75) that can play R1 DVD's and also record in NTSC if I am copying an NTSC video. However, what I require now is too record something from the default settings (PAL) to NTSC. I have a contact in the states and we have agreed to trade UK for US shows, however he cannot play PAL videos or DVD's.

I don't think the Phillips recorder will be able to re-record something that is in PAL converting it to NTSC. What equipment will I be able to need to record PAL into NTSC format. It doesn't matter if I can or cannot see the recording, aslong my friend in the states does then its fine.

Hope you can help.

Stu.

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    You'd need a digital tv standards converter from the likes of Lektropacks or Keene. They're not cheap for decent quality ones, mind. Several hundred pounds at the very least, and that's just for composite. If you want S-Video quality they'll be even more. And of course you'd need some form of external TV source, such as a Freeview or Sky box as the DVD recorder won't feed its own tuner out and back in again via the standards converter.

Regards

Mark

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    How much footage is there? If you send it my way I can standards convert it for you (if you'd send me a few blank discs to record the end result on to). PM me if you'd want me to do that for ya :)

4. stujones

stujones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the offer Lyris, I might take you up on it. Although would like to sort it out myself because it is little but regular coverage (it will probably be 2 x 2hour DVD's every week).

Has anybody tried IFOedit. Does anyone know if this actually converts PAL to NTSC or does it just give you the impression of a converted picture. I have tried it and the picture does look different, but then I have a DVD player that can play both. The picture does look different but according to the DVD player in the menu section it is still labelled a "PAL" disc.

Anyone heard of this programme, if I sent a disc edited with IFOedit - would it work in the states.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

If this does work, is there a cheaper alternative for my friend in the states to use to get to watch PAL discs? What will he need to be able to view PAL discs?

5. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    I do believe there are are cheapish Far Eastern import DVD players on sale in the US that will do a full PAL to NTSC conversion. A Google should find a few retailers selling them.

Regards

Mark

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    IFOEdit simply takes a PAL file and flags it as an NTSC one to fool the DVD player's video chip into sending NTSC to the TV. I'll bet it looks terrible, and that's if it works at all on most players.