recording in NTSC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bob-Lee Bibbly, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Bob-Lee Bibbly

Bob-Lee Bibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Panasonic DMR-E65 DVD Recorder. I was assured in the shop that it would record from my NTSC camcorder. Of course I couldn't try it out in the shop so I have 14 days to get it to work the way I want it.

I got it all set up and plugged the camcorder in to the video in at the front but when I run the tape I get a black line at the bottom of the screen. So it seems it only does playback for DVDs in NTSC but will not record in NTSC.

Is there any way I can fix this? If not, can anyone recommend a DVD recorder that will record NTSC?

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to change the tv system setting in the set up menu and this will allow NTSC recording.Change it back after though

3. Thrower

Thrower

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem transfering an NTSC video.

Black line across the bottom.

I changed the TV setup to NTSC but then the picture is only shown in Blank and White?

Is there a way around this?

Thanks.

4. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Black and white picture displayed on a TV for NTSC output is usually due to the TV not being able to handle NTSC.

1. Is your TV multi-standard (PAL/NTSC)? Have you tried playing a R1 NTSC DVD to see if that works OK?

2. Try changing the video output to RGB on the DVD recorder. If the output is set to video (composite), even via scart, this may cause the TV problems.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Changing the input on the Panny to NTSC will enable recording from NTSC camcorder as its a proper NTSC signal.
    NTSC as output by a UK vcr is NOT proper NTSC,its a variant called PAL 60 to help UK tv sets display NTSC.
    Panasonic recorders will only record pure NTSC,not PAL 60.
    A Pioneer or Philips recorder will record PAL 60 from your VCR

6. oriental

oriental

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1.Change system in PAN DVDto NTSc
    2.playback NTSC camcorder
    3.Record on a Blank DVD (you will see B/W picture only on your TV.But dont worry)
    4.After recording Finalise DVD
    5.Change back system to PAL
    6.Finalised DVD Should play back in colour now.
    Hope This works for You

7. chrisardy

chrisardy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same problem and I have tried proceeding as described by oriental, but the final picture is still in black and white! Is it because my TV is quite old (it is about20 years old)? or is there some other problem? I would be grateful for any help.

8. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Being 20 years old it's a good bet it can't handle either NTSC or PAL60. However, there's a good chance conecting it up with an RGB scart lead into AV1 (assuming your TV does have an RGB input scart) will give you colour.

Regards

Mark

9. chrisardy

chrisardy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark,

It is connected up with the scart lead. I have tried playing back a recording on another DVD player and a newer TV and I get the same black & white result. The Toshiba TV can handle the output directly from my Panasonic VHS because I get a good picture then. It seems it is this problem with the panasonic not recording PAL60 which is (I presume) the output from the panasonic VHS. Are there any converters which would solve this problem?

10. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Yeah, but not cheap. Check out Lektropacks for digital format converters. They will convert between PAL, PAL60, NTSC, and SECAM. Best they usually do though is S-VHS.

Regards

Mark