Recording HDMI > VCR (Scart) and back

GVA1994

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've browsed around on the forums but couldn't find an answer for my personal situation. I'm trying to transfer a video I've made from my laptop (only HDMI-out) to my VCR (only SCART in). I've found a converter that does that (see link below). I'm doing this so I can degrade the video quality. I then want to get it back from tape to my laptop. The VCR only has SCART-out. Would I need to buy another converter? Or is there a better way to do it altogether? I have an external monitor as well that accepts both SCART and HDMI.

Thanks in advance!!

The normal way to create a video that looks like it came from a VHS tape would be to apply filters in video editing software on your laptop.

Are you trying to capture the particular characteristics of one VCR or something?

The normal way to create a video that looks like it came from a VHS tape would be to apply filters in video editing software on your laptop.

Are you trying to capture the particular characteristics of one VCR or something?

Thanks for the reply. Nope, I just like doing it this way. I want it to be authentic.

Do you have a DVD recorder?
If yes: copy (record) output from VCR to DVD, then extract contents from DVD back into the computer.

Do you have a DVD(/BD) + HDD recorder with analog inputs which is also network connected and a DNLA server?
If yes: copy (record) output from VCR to the recorder's HDD and then copy it over the network onto the computer.

If no: then you will need a (USB, probably) capture card that will take analog video and allow capture in your PC. You'll need some capture software for that, too. OBS is free.

I'm back with another question. I've purchased the device as mentioned in the original post.

The device converts the signal from my laptop from HDMI to a SCART signal and I can see the output of this when I connect the device to an external monitor (through SCART). I can see the converted signal on the external monitor so that's good.

When I:

• Connect the converter to my VCR with a SCART
  • Press record on the VCR
  • Press play on my laptop
  • Wait for the video to end, then stop recording on the VCR
  • Rewind the tape, and press play to see the result

Somehow, there's no signal recorded. The VCR has overwritten the content of the tape, but no signal has come in to be recorded. What could be the cause of this? The VCR has two SCART plugs which function as both IN and OUT. The VCR is a Philips DVD75VR. Attached is a picture of the SCARTs on the back of the VCR.

Any input is much appreciated! (no pun intended)

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-09 at 11.13.24.jpeg

This is as much about troubleshooting as anything else.

Connect PC HDMI > SCART > the VCR BLUE scart socket.
Connect the VCR Black SCART directly to a TV.
Set the TV so it "sees" that SCART input i.e. you are watching what the VCR is doing. You may, for example, be able to get some on-screen (setup) menu from the VCR to show on the TV screen.

Now see what happens when you set the VCR input to AV2, with the PC on and doing something.
Look for a TV standard setting in that converter device. It will need to be PAL to work with a EU/UK spec VCR; not NTSC.
You should also consider setting the PC's graphics to output 50hz to its HDMI output.

Do you get the PC screen and sound on the TV?
If yes - start recording it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, just have the one SCART at the moment so can't do all the checks properly at the moment.

I have tried to use the top SCART on the VCR (AV2, the blue one) as input, and also the converter was in NTSC mode where it should've been PAL, but no luck yet. I'll fetch another SCART and see what happens. Thanks for now!

EDIT: Got it working. Had to go through some obscure menu to switch video input on the VCR. Didn't know that was the case. Thanks again all!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom