1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording games footage

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by edwinbradford, Dec 29, 2003.

1. edwinbradford

edwinbradford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I want to record games footage from all three consoles so that I can capture frames on my mac and use them as still images. What would be the best quality way of doing this?

I can think of two options, one is to buy an analogue to digital converter for the mac and the other is to buy a DVD Recorder. Would both of those methods work? Would one be better? I'm kind of tending towards the DVD Recorder solution because I'm guessing it will support my RGB Scart inputs better and after recording footage presumably I can just copy it to a DVD and pop the disk in my mac. Hence I don't have to hook the mac up to my games machines.

I know I can't run the output from my consoles through my video recorder because it won't support RGB and is analogue only. I'm hoping this won't be an issue with a DVD player, right?

Does this sound sensible? Anyone tried it, got any advice or recommendations? My set up is 42 inch rear projection TV, 3 consoles all connected by RGB scart. Cheers - Edwin.

2. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you know anybody with a digital camcorder?
    many models have a pass through convertor built in. DV tape is apparantly better quality than DVD and easier to work with.

3. edwinbradford

edwinbradford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, I read something a few months back that said that going through a camcorder didnt' give you great quality. Now I'm even more confused - sigh.

4. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sure the game footage would be excellent quality through a DV camera, but a different story for snapshots.... I know if I take a snapshot of footage captured to disk using Movie Maker the final photo is very small and not great quality.
    So youre probably going to have to find out the best capture software first. Obviously it must be possible because game sites have good quality screenshots.
    Try posting in the Digital Video section.

5. edwinbradford

edwinbradford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good idea, I'll try it and thanks for the info.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Analogue capture card.
    PC running Dscaler