Question Recording from VM tivo to DVD?

Pysces

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone ,

First time here :)

I'm looking to cancel my VM as I'm paying a lot of money and (now) getting less channels I watch.

I have some recordings which I'd like to keep, documentaries etc which aren't available on commercial DVD for example.

I've got a DVD recorder - a Panasonic DMR-ES10EB/EBL and foolishly I thought it would be simple to copy the recordings off the tivo - it's not the v6, it's the version before.

This is my setup, just in case I've gone wrong:
  • Tivo connected to TV via HDMI
  • DVD recorder connected to tivo via scart (AV2 Ext connector or back of recorder)
(Edited to add - the LCD screen on my DVD recorder is faulty, reading it is a bit of a pain)

Any ideas, please?

Thanks hopefully in advance :)

Are you sure the Tivo will output analogue from scart when connected by HDMI ? Check by connecting it by scart to the TV with the HDMI connected and try and view it. Now try disconnecting the HDMI lead and try again.

Are you sure the Tivo will output analogue from scart when connected by HDMI ? Check by connecting it by scart to the TV with the HDMI connected and try and view it. Now try disconnecting the HDMI lead and try again.

Thanks for your reply. I'm currently in work (albeit on my break) so will try tomorrow.

How would you suggest rigging it up? Connect the tv via SCART to the DVD recorder, leaving the tivo connected via HDMI? Or am i totally off beam?

Thanks for your reply. I'm currently in work (albeit on my break) so will try tomorrow.

How would you suggest rigging it up? Connect the tv via SCART to the DVD recorder, leaving the tivo connected via HDMI? Or am i totally off beam?

Does the Tivo have two scarts or only one ? For the best pictures you need to retain the HDMI connection, but I suspect with this box you can't use both at the same time. Check the box menus to see if analogue and digital can both be selected.

Does the Tivo have two scarts or only one ? For the best pictures you need to retain the HDMI connection, but I suspect with this box you can't use both at the same time. Check the box menus to see if analogue and digital can both be selected.

Only the one as I recall. The DVD recorder has two.

Only the one as I recall. The DVD recorder has two.

Then the only possible connection is as per my previous post and you need to check if you can use both connections at the same time.

Then the only possible connection is as per my previous post and you need to check if you can use both connections at the same time.

Thank you. I must seem very dim. Just connected the tivo to tv via SCART and also HDMI and it played through both.

Thank you. I must seem very dim. Just connected the tivo to tv via SCART and also HDMI and it played through both.

In that case if start playback of a VHS tape and select the DVDR input to scart and the TV input to AV you should see playback on the TV.

The TiVo's SCART remains active even while the HDMI output is in use. Note that you only get SD via the SCART output though and you do not get the option to output anything different to what is being output via the HDMI output. THe HDMI output would still be HD though even if the SCART output is being scaled down to SD.

The newer V6 box has no active means by which to output an analogue signal and only has one active HDMI output. There is an analogue output, but this isn't activated so cannot be used.

The TiVo's SCART output is RGB so ensure that you use a compliant cable and that the input on the recording device is also RGB. You'd need to record the content in question in real time, meaning that you'd have to play it on the TiVo and leave the TiVo playing it while you are recording it. Connect the SCART to the TiVo SCART output and then connect the other end of the cable to the SCART input on your recoding device.

The TiVo's SCART remains active even while the HDMI output is in use. Note that you only get SD via the SCART output though and you do not get the option to output anything different to what is being output via the HDMI output. THe HDMI output would still be HD though even if the SCART output is being scaled down to SD.

The newer V6 box has no active means by which to output an analogue signal and only has one active HDMI output. There is an analogue output, but this isn't activated so cannot be used.

The TiVo's SCART output is RGB so ensure that you use a compliant cable and that the input on the recording device is also RGB. You'd need to record the content in question in real time, meaning that you'd have to play it on the TiVo and leave the TiVo playing it while you are recording it. Connect the SCART to the TiVo SCART output and then connect the other end of the cable to the SCART input on your recoding device.

In order to see what you are recording the TV will need to use a RGB capable scart.

In order to see what you are recording the TV will need to use a RGB capable scart.

Not necessarily. I've a DVD recorder that also includes an HDMI output as well as a SCART input. You could also use component video connections from the recording device to a monitor or TV.

Not necessarily. I've a DVD recorder that also includes an HDMI output as well as a SCART input. You could also use component video connections from the recording device to a monitor or TV.

Does your DVDR convert analogue input to digital so you can view it on it's HDMI input ?

Connect the SCART to the TiVo SCART output and then connect the other end of the cable to the SCART input on your recoding device.

Okaydoke - do I need to connect the DVD recorder to the tv via SCART too?

Thanks guys for your help, I thought this would be simple!

Okaydoke - do I need to connect the DVD recorder to the tv via SCART too?

Thanks guys for your help, I thought this would be simple!

It will still record without having to do this, but you'll probably want to be able to see the recorder's menus and you'll want to be able to cue the content up using the recorder's onscreen display? If your TV hasn't a SCART input then use your recorders com[ponent video output to convey video to your TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom