recording from VHS home movie, problem with noise

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JOG, Nov 26, 2004.

1. JOG

JOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am recording from VHS (home movie) to DVD, and it seems my recorder is confusing noise on the tape with macrovision and refusing to record. I've been advised to buy a scart cable that filters out macrovision.
    However, the tape does NOT have macrovision on it, so I am not sure a product designed to remove macrovision will also deal with the noise that my dvd recorder is confusing for macrovision.
    My question - has anyone successfully used one of these cables in the same situation? If so, can you recommend a brand?
    [email protected]

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Macrovision is a signal that is put in the "sync pulse" area of the picture (the same area used by teletext signals), and the amplitude of the pulse is continuously varied to confuse the automatic level controls in a VCR. The Macrovision removal cables just strip out all the information inside the sync pulses, and return them to normal levels, so (in theory) they should do the trick.

But don't quote me ! :laugh: ;)

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Aghh dropped my mug on the Esc key and lost a long article

Vhs is difficult to copy repeatedly due to sync. track deterioration - this used to effect editors, (with Beta I was immune as they were to macraprovision), there were various devices available to fix this eg video enhancers, and sync regenerators.

I researched this in 85 and 86 as I kept reading about video enhancers, and basically found that using a Sony SL-F1UB meant I did not want, need or require - in fact better not to use any of this stuff as Beta regenerates sync. at each copy so every tape has a good track. Also I found few problems with colour copying - after 8 generations it was out of sync with the luminance, only went 3 deep - in normal use.

Since macraprovision works by ruining the sync. track you need to take the same method - regenerate this track - I get VERY annoyed by people blathering about piracy when quite often sync. rebuilding is needed when copying almost any old non Beta tape (include Video 8).

So you need basically any device which rebuilds sync. pulses from a poor sync. pulse source, eg copy enhancer or a macraprovision removal cable.

Without sync. rebuilding a 3rd generation Vhs tape would roll like had whereas using some form of tidying it up it would not.

Basically search for copy enhancer and see what is suitable.

As this is for a fully legal use there can be no complaints, but for archiving your old home movies I think (I AM NOT RECOMMENDING) something along the lines of a Sima device which appears will be useful as it also allows some tweaking of the picture (I know that there are devices with allow adjustment of sharpness, colour sync with luminance but then we could end up with mega money).

So have a look and see what you can find!

My old Beta tapes copied to PC and then DVD very well - infact they look better than the original tapes now!

4. JOG

JOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies...
    Bought a cable from DVDCodes.net, and it seems to do the trick. The colour looks a bit off on the dvd recording but no big deal.