1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording from VCR to Pioneer 720 #2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mikey45, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - this is a re-post as I've now been told that I do have the correct SCART >> S-Video cable (and not the opposite as was suggested).

I'm trying to record off my Sony VCR plugged into AV3 on Toshiba TV and outputting that signal to AV2 which then connects to the Pioneers front panel S-Video input. The result is not good with practically no colour and lots of interference.

I've also now tried cabling directly from the VCR's SCART >> front panel S-Video Line2 connector on the Pioneer deck but just get mono picture with quite a lot of interference. Source material is stuff recorded off of TV so don't believe copy protection is the issue.

Is there a way to achieve this or am I going to have to re-cable using SCART >> SCART for when I want to transfer from VCR to DVD?

Thanks, Mike

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Sorry I'm not quite sure about the connections in use but would expect a direct connection to the DVD recorder would be best.
    Mono pictures with some interference sounds like the VCR might be sending composite video on its scart output. Probably worth checking the VCR menu.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Only s-VHS VCRs output s-video. Otherwise you'll have to use composite and you need a scart to 3 RCA jacks to do it (red and white for audio, yellow for video).

Your Sony VCR may have a separate composite video out (yellow RCA socket) on the back next to the RCA audio outs. If so you just need 3 normal phono leads with RCA jacks to connect to the 720 front input.

The above is invalid if your VCR is s-VHS, in which case your direct VCR==>720 should work in s-video mode. You might need to set the VCR to output s-video.

4. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I'll try using RCA cables tonight when home.

Mike

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    P.S. If your VCR doesn't have separate composite video out you're back to the scart route.
    http://www.astarsolutions.co.uk/ do a good range of adaptors if you can't swap the lead you bought. (product code 1078 - use your own phono leads) or complete lead (1186)
    Maplin also do an adaptor no. L84BA or a lead no. L99BA

You didn't say, but maybe your s-video lead has a composite video lead too.